Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Depth gauge for Carver Riviera

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
2impulsive
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver Riviera 2807

Depth gauge for Carver Riviera

Postby 2impulsive » January 15th, 2020, 11:33 am

We have a 1986 Carver Riviera that came with a thru hull depth transducer and cable but no gauge. The tag on the cable reads Apelco M28871 and the cable is Airmar C9 C1225. Does anyone know what type of gauge will be compatible with this equipment.
Thanks.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Depth gauge for Carver Riviera

Postby Tireless » January 15th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I googled Apelco and was able to determine that they are/were a Marine Electronics Company. Ebay has some stuff as well. Airmae is also on eBay and they appear to be a transducer/cable company.

IMO, if the transducer is the same vintage as your boat you may want to look at newer technology, as it will be a lot easier to get to your goal. There are some reasonably priced depth/fish finder devices out there. Unless you can find a used device on line, which may be difficult. The model numbers on your cables may lead you to your answer on line. Most older cables would not be compatible with the newer equipment. If the old transducer is not leaking, I would just leave it and instal new transducer in the hull. JMO. :-D

Greg

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 15th, 2020, 7:07 pm

If you get a depth finder with no new bells and whistles such as CHIRP or side scan, you can look up that transducer frequency and wiring and connect it to any depth finder with the same frequency.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 15th, 2020, 10:03 pm

I think Apelco was bought by Raytheon just before they spun off into RayMarine.

While you could probably find some electronics to work with that transducer, you'd probably be better off just replacing the system with something newer. Some of the very old ones were single frequency, then they moved to a dual frequency. Now with the CHIRP ones you get some "high definition". The display will also be much more functional than the old displays too, with more detail on the bottom. If the boat is out of the water, I would plan on knocking out the old transducer and putting the new one in its place before I launched in the spring.

Topic author Canada
2impulsive
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver Riviera 2807

Postby 2impulsive » January 16th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will look at installing a new transducer etc.
Bill.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”