Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anyone with Axiom PRO?

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Anyone with Axiom PRO?

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 21st, 2019, 6:11 pm

I have the Ray e127/e97 networked together. With an issue with the Quantum radar, Ray sent me a replacement of a Q2 unit AND a new Autopilot! However, I do not have all the functions available as my e series is not upgradable to Lighthouse 3. I was looking at the Axiom and Axiom PRO. The PRO appears to have 16GB memory versus the 4 GB of the Axiom. I know I cant network the e and Axiom together. So any input on the PRO? I liked the Ray Outlet store Boat in a box with the Axiom 9/Axiom 12, reading and networking stuff for $3500.00. But I don’t think the memory is sufficient, and am concerned Ray will discontinue the regular Axiom for this reason. Also, I will be using the B744 transducer, as I am not a fisherman who needs downvision or 3D. So do I get the display with the CHIRP and just use my depth transducer as a depth reader?

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Anyone with Axiom PRO?

Postby Helmsman » November 7th, 2019, 12:03 am

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post I have the Ray e127/e97 networked together. With an issue with the Quantum radar, Ray sent me a replacement of a Q2 unit AND a new Autopilot! However, I do not have all the functions available as my e series is not upgradable to Lighthouse 3. I was looking at the Axiom and Axiom PRO. The PRO appears to have 16GB memory versus the 4 GB of the Axiom. I know I cant network the e and Axiom together. So any input on the PRO? I liked the Ray Outlet store Boat in a box with the Axiom 9/Axiom 12, reading and networking stuff for $3500.00. But I don’t think the memory is sufficient, and am concerned Ray will discontinue the regular Axiom for this reason. Also, I will be using the B744 transducer, as I am not a fisherman who needs downvision or 3D. So do I get the display with the CHIRP and just use my depth transducer as a depth reader?

I would go with the Axiom Pro. Look at the size of the opening required before ordering. You can find the specs on the Raymarine site under MFD’s. In addition they have a really good forum under support where you can search for your questions. They are very structured in their response and won’t answer questions related to their strategy of phasing equipment out.

I have a three year old eS127 and they will not be updating the software after this year, so I will probably end up eating the $2,800 I spent on it if I end up upgrading. In fairness to Raymarine, the Axion Pro represents a significant upgrade with the processor and memory. They also changed the base software they used in the eS MFD’s. A lot of it is built around being able to use cameras (they sell them), use apps, watch TV, manage sound systems; etc.

Making the eS MFD’s an orphan this quickly is a self inflicted wound in my opinion.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 7th, 2019, 7:21 am

Flir has made some wholesale changes to their Raymarine product line. Positive ones IMO as some are born out of law enforcement and search and rescue needs, better processing speed in general. Unfortunately it means dropping some product and support but what electronics company doesn't do that these days to keep up with competition. There's some real interesting stuff on the horizon, especially the interfacing with Flir equipment....whole new ballgame.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » November 7th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Flir has made some wholesale changes to their Raymarine product line. Positive ones IMO as some are born out of law enforcement and search and rescue needs, better processing speed in general. Unfortunately it means dropping some product and support but what electronics company doesn't do that these days to keep up with competition. There's some real interesting stuff on the horizon, especially the interfacing with Flir equipment....whole new ballgame.

Think it would be worthwhile to wait another year before moving to the Axiom?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 7th, 2019, 10:01 pm

It's a tough call. One could say that if you wait in anticipation of improvements, you'll never upgrade as equipment changes constantly these days. No matter when you buy something, it's likely already out of date in the manufacturer's eyes and just when you think you have the latest and greatest, a new feature comes out in the next model a month later that you wish you waited for. It's hard to keep up! If you really need it now, get it. If you feel you can wait for the next latest and greatest then you don't really need it as much as you think you do. Heck I'm still running legacy product but it does what I need; tells me where I am and going, gets me from A to B, gives me depth, temp and speed, radar, autopilot, etc. Nothing fancy but it's good enough for me. If I'm going to spend a few thousand bucks, I really NEED a spiral staircase and extended swim platform!

United States of America
dskasner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506

Postby dskasner » August 10th, 2020, 8:20 pm

I replaced the original electronics on my Carver 506 with Axiom Pro as the master unit. And a Axiom as the backup or secondary unit. Have been operating them for the last three years. Between the processor speed and screen resolution in color I cannot be more happy with the system. Updates and upgrades to software is done via WiFi, so keeping up with latest revisions is a snap. Here a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » August 10th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Very nice. Now the Axiom is a thing of the past.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 11th, 2020, 7:43 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Heck I'm still running legacy product

I thought Loran "C" was no more.... :lol: .... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 11th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Now you're showing your age Bud ;-)

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”