Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Connect laptop to Chartplotter

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Connect laptop to Chartplotter

Postby wkeith » July 17th, 2021, 9:00 am

2004 Carver 466 with Raymarine RL 80C chartplotter looking to connect laptop to receive information. How can this be done?
Thanks!
Walter

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Connect laptop to Chartplotter

Postby bud37 » July 17th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Raymarine has a forum with lots of info.....I just checked and it appears to be transitioning to customer help ....worth a look anyway.

https://forum.raymarine.com
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 17th, 2021, 1:56 pm

You'll need software for that plus a way to get GPS data into your laptop. I used to run Fugawi but they are no longer in business. Worked great though. Was able to store an endless number of way-points, routes, pictures, etc. Raymarine used to sell their own computer navigation software with the interface cable you'd need to hook up to your laptop, don't know if that's still available. There are several threads on here though with alternatives that might be useful using wifi, third party charting services, etc. I'm sure the guys will chime in with some examples of what they're doing.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 17th, 2021, 2:29 pm

You should also make sure you have the RL80C and not the RL80C+ IIRC, the first uses HSB and the second uses HSB2 and that might make a difference in your final solution.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 18th, 2021, 10:47 am

If you can do some basic wiring, you can make your own cable for GPS data transfer. When I did it, it was with a serial port (remember what that is?!). I made up a cable with a serial connector and hooked up the wires to the little white junction box used in most Raymarine installs at the time. The GPS cable connection was made in this box so you just have to tap in there to pick up the data. There should also be generic GPS data output from the display through one of the cables. The only thing I had to figure out was the serial port pin configuration and which pin each GPS wire went to. Pretty easy to figure out thanks to Google. Ran a little inverter off the cigarette lighter to power the laptop.

Topic author United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Postby wkeith » July 19th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Viper, thank you very much this is great information. Will give this a look and try to get this going.
Thanks again,
Walter

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 27th, 2021, 8:11 am

Did you come up with anything?

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”