Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

440 Express autopilot

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Tmac928
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 440Trojan Express by Carver

440 Express autopilot

Postby Tmac928 » December 28th, 2021, 5:58 pm

We just recently purchased a 2000 Trojan 440 Express. It does not have autopilot. I'm looking for recommendations on brand or appropriate size. Does anyone know what type of steering it has .... Hynautic / Seastar etc.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all .

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: 440 Express autopilot

Postby Cooler » December 30th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Probably Hynautic. Could have been changed to Seastar by previous owner. I changed my Hynautic to Seastar when the helm pump started leaking. Much easier to keep fluid topped off, and a 2 line system instead of 3. The Hynautics had a reservoir tank in the engine room that was not easy to access. Make sure you are very clear on the hydraulic steering fluid you use in the system. There are some products out there that are very confusing with the way they mark their bottles. For example, Quicksilver sells a product for power trim and steering. They should put power steering on the label to be clear. That is not the fluid you want to use in hydraulic steering. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 30th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Tmac928 wrote:Source of the post We just recently purchased a 2000 Trojan 440 Express. It does not have autopilot. I'm looking for recommendations on brand or appropriate size. Does anyone know what type of steering it has .... Hynautic / Seastar etc.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all .

Unfortunately you will really have to crawl around and see what make you have installed.......lots of things get changed over the years so to be sure......well you get the picture.....good luck on your upgrade.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 31st, 2021, 12:06 pm

Hynautic included a separate spec sheet/operations brochure in the original manual package. See if you have that, and make sure the helm looks the same as the illustration. It is just a 3 or 4 page info sheet so it may look like incidental info. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 1st, 2022, 12:30 pm

If you get a chance, post up some pictures of what you have and it might be easy for some folks to ID it. Even if not a pic specifically of the gear, but one that you may have taken of the helm or the engine compartment.

Topic author United States of America
Tmac928
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 440Trojan Express by Carver

Postby Tmac928 » January 1st, 2022, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. We will be going to spend time on the boat next week. In a way I'm hoping it's a Hynautic steering... I know some of you have changed over to Sea Star, but I am very familiar with Hynautic and to me it's very easy to repair/rebuild, and I have a spare Hynautic helm pump.
I'll report back when I identify what it is. But as for the Autopilot .... what do people like or have on their boat ?

Thank you

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 1st, 2022, 5:20 pm

Once you've determined what type of steering you have, I'd start by sticking with the same brand autopilot as the rest of your navigation electronics, that way there's less chance of communication incompatibilities and errors with your autopilot. Then it will depend on how old your current navigation system is and whether you'll need to stick with older auto pilot models or can go with more updated/current ones.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”