Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Analog to NMEA Engine Data Converter

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 396 Motor Yacht

Analog to NMEA Engine Data Converter

Postby RussL » May 14th, 2021, 12:25 pm

I have wanted to get my engine data into my Simrad system for a while, but I don't want to lose my existing dash gauges. I have twin Cummins BT6 5.9s in my 2000 Carver 396. Has anyone done this type of install? Does anyone recommend a brand of gateway? I have been leaning toward the Actisense Engine Management Unit Analog- NMEA2000. Has anyone use this?

Thanks,
Russ

United States of America
Thekaj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 325 Aft Cabin

Re: Analog to NMEA Engine Data Converter

Postby Thekaj » May 14th, 2021, 11:55 pm

I’ve just started to think about this myself, so I’m interested to see the replies too. Any particular reason you’re leaning towards the EMU-1? I was considering the AlbaCombi. It’s a bit cheaper, and with an Ethernet port, you just plug it into a laptop to configure. The only downside I was seeing is that the manual is a bit difficult to parse, making the setup and calibration a bit of a question mark.

Topic author United States of America
RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 396 Motor Yacht

Postby RussL » May 17th, 2021, 12:33 pm

Thanks Thekaj. That is another unit I am considering. The third is the NoLand RS11 V4 (https://nolandeng.com/product/rs11-canbus-engine-data-converter/) From what I can tell the AlbaCombi and the Actisense have better functionality though. I have really just started researching the install process and trying to figure out what would work best for my boat. I am also trying to decide if I want to get rid of my analog gauges all together and switch to a Simrad IS42J or an VDO OceanLink 7", but I like the idea of the gauges in case something ever went wrong with the electronics....

What do people think? Do you need to hold onto the analog gauges?

United States of America
jasontn
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Mariner 3697

Postby jasontn » June 27th, 2022, 9:49 am

I am also very interested in this - I have Crusaders in my Mariner 3697 and have been eying this as a project for two years. I've looked at all 3 of the options suggested here and it appears to me that the Actisense seems to be considered the best of the bunch from what I can find on the Internet but both Actisense and AlbaCombi have a lot of people reporting absolutely no support from the manufacturers at all - and they are over seas so if you can get them it is off hours here in the US. The NoLand is made in FL so I was considering it for that alone but have read that it is harder to setup.

I am interested if this aligns with what everyone has read about and which way anyone goes.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » June 27th, 2022, 3:56 pm

I put my 530 Voyager with 610 Volvos on the N2K as well as my new boat with D12 Volvos. I used "Yach Devices" gateways. Works awesome. Also great customer service.

Great Britain
Ralphalicious
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Still looking...

Postby Ralphalicious » June 28th, 2022, 1:30 am

jasontn wrote:I am also very interested in this - I have Crusaders in my Mariner 3697 and have been eying this as a project for two years. I've looked at all 3 of the options suggested here and it appears to me that the Actisense seems to be considered the best of the bunch from what I can find on the Internet but both Actisense and AlbaCombi have a lot of people reporting absolutely no support from the manufacturers at all - and they are over seas so if you can get them it is off hours here in the US. The NoLand is made in FL so I was considering it for that alone but have read that it is harder to setup.

I am interested if this aligns with what everyone has read about and which way anyone goes.

Speak to the team at Gemeco - excellent service and very helpful with knowledge about Actisense EMU-1. 8-)

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 29th, 2022, 7:41 am

I just did this. I used Yacht Devices units. Made a NMEA network on the the boat to bring data to my Garmin GPS. There products are fantastic and the tech support is second to none. They will steer you in the correct direction.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » June 29th, 2022, 8:36 pm

On my 2006 Crusaders I used Fox Marine units. They worked flawlessly. You will deal directly with the inventor, who was very easy to work with.

https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route= ... ry&path=81

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 29th, 2022, 9:27 pm

I've been looking at the fox marine stuff for my 405 good to have some feedback from someone here.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » July 11th, 2022, 3:55 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post I've been looking at the fox marine stuff for my 405 good to have some feedback from someone here.

He will provide help with the selection, and with the install. He knows his stuff. The feed to the instrument display was great, but what I really liked is that on the bluetooth feed to the app there were about twenty five or so data points you could look at.

One of the two I had ended up with a blue tooth failure a couple of years into owning them. He replaced the unit, and was concerned that the failure occurred. Great service.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”