Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Adding a 3rd party touch screen to my Garmin 8612

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Adding a 3rd party touch screen to my Garmin 8612

Postby kgarguilo » March 6th, 2024, 11:49 am

I have not found any documentation on this topic as yet. I have a Garmin 8612 XSV and would like to add a 7" or 10" monitor in front of my shifters to view a second screen from my Garmin like the backup camera, Engine data etc. While the Garmin 743 and 943 are pretty, they are so pricey. I see where they recommend even pricier second monitors on their website, no thank you they allude to other monitors being compatible. The Active captain is nice, but only gives me the same screen I am showing on my Garmin screen, so an Apple ipad or windows tablet will not do the job, I believe?

My Garmin does NOT have the "USB DRD" indication but not sure that precludes this from working. This is my back plane that has a USB-C and HDMI Output that I would use for another touch screen monitor https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap8400-8600/EN-US/GUID-DB5F432F-0A17-4E6A-87FF-9C28203E88E3.html

They also give specs When selecting a 3rd party monitor, verify that the display resolution mentioned above and that the specs of the monitor mention it supports USB for touchscreen control. Some monitors may have screen resolutions and interfaces that are not supported by the 84xx, 86xx and 87xx series devices. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=m7t8ecpaN01mkR2sDLIcvA&productID=799264&searchQuery=3rd%20part%20touch%20screen&tab=topics

Some screens I have looked at are:
https://www.beetronics.com/10-inch-touchscreen-full-hd
https://www.sihovision.com/full-ip65-high-brightness-touch-monitor/waterproof-monitor-sl100w.html I know Chinese sold and made.

Any help guidance or just random thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Or am I just being cheap and should I buy the Garmin 743 ($1,099.00) or 943 $1,399.00)

Hope everyone is getting ready for Spring, it is here in Atlanta GA by the way I made a YouTube video on my NEMA network and FOX Marine Engine project I will post a link soon.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Voyager

Re: Adding a 3rd party touch screen to my Garmin 8612

Postby Merkinbrumsky » March 7th, 2024, 8:09 am

I am currently running Garmin gear. No idea about compatabilty but up here in Canada the Garmin stuff seems to go on sale for over 50% off every year around Christmas/New Years. I have purchased 2 units in the last 3 years from Cabelas during these sales. If you decide to stick with Garmin stuff it may be worth waiting for a sale.
HIH

United States of America
Alanna Mo Cree
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 360 Sport Sedan
Twin 8.1Gi Volvo Penta FWC

Postby Alanna Mo Cree » March 8th, 2024, 7:55 pm

My plan is to go with an entirely separate NMEA2000 display so I don't lose all the displays if the main MFD goes out for some reason. It's definitely a more expensive approach than just having a screen off the Garmin HDMI port though. I've been looking at the Veratron Oceanlink 7" for about $970 or a Maretron DSM570 for about $900. If I can convince the admiral that the full redundancy is worth it, then I'd love to go with a dual Garmin 8610 or 8612 setup run from a GRID.
Charlie & Jennifer
Alanna Mo Cree | Apopka Florida
2003 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
Twin Volvo 8.1Gi
Photo Album

kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby kgarguilo » March 8th, 2024, 8:52 pm

Sounds like buying the other garmin may be my only choice. Thanks to all for input.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

United States of America
Alanna Mo Cree
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 360 Sport Sedan
Twin 8.1Gi Volvo Penta FWC

Postby Alanna Mo Cree » March 9th, 2024, 10:03 pm

Apple ipad or windows tablet will not do the job, I believe?

Another thing to consider would be a gateway of some kind on the NMEA2000 network so that you can run a tablet. This would give more options than just another Garmin screen such as remote monitoring capability.

My concern with using a tablet is sunlight readability. It gets pretty bright up on the helm depending on where the sun is in relation to the boat heading.
Charlie & Jennifer
Alanna Mo Cree | Apopka Florida
2003 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
Twin Volvo 8.1Gi
Photo Album

kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby kgarguilo » March 9th, 2024, 11:06 pm

Today, I also bought a samsung s6 10" tablet. Have not been out in the sun but, it is pretty bright. Bought just for programming and using activecaptain. Next time the sun comes out, i will give it a try.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”