Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

I Need A New GPS

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: I Need A New GPS

Postby RGrew176 » April 4th, 2016, 10:45 pm

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post I have a vintage 1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht with original electronics. I just bought a new RayMarine Hybrid touch e97 AND e127 which will be networked together using the Quantum Radar and also the AirMar B744V transducer. To me, if I was upgrading it was going to be to the latest and greatest.

I agree, anytime you upgrade anything electronic I feel like you that one should go with the latest and greatest. That is why I will probably go with the larger 9 Garmin. I will need to replace the ancient depthsounder but that will probably wait until next year. A new marine VHF is my first purchase once the boat launches for the season. I will have to go on the Boat US website to get my MMSI number so I can program it into the radio first time I turn it on. I don't see a radar on this boat. There is no radar arch so I would have to go with some sort of pole mount. But, you never know I might decide radar is a need down the road. I did have it on my last boat and it is a nice tool to have in the toolbox.

I prefer separate units over combo ones so this GPS will be used as a GPS only.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » April 9th, 2016, 2:41 am

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. I decided to go with the 9" screen model. I had West Marine see if they could order one without the transducer as I want this to be a GPS only. I will upgrade my depth sounder sometime in the future.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the- ... 29894.html

This will be the one supposedly 3 to 4 weeks to get it but that is fine as I will not be launching until early May.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » April 14th, 2016, 3:12 am

West Marine called me yesterday (Wednesday) and stated that my GPS has arrived in the store. The 3 to 4 week promise only took a week. I will head there later today to pick up my new unit. I will be starting the season with a new GPS. Now I will know where I have been and where I am going, ha, ha. :up:
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » May 1st, 2016, 11:39 pm

I did order and I have taken delivery of a new VHF. This is the one I purchased:

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS. ... Archived=0

It will go nicely with the new GPS I purchased earlier. One of the features of this radio I really like.

The GPS Position of a received DSC Distress or Position Request call can be shown on a compatible GPS Chart plotter simply by connecting 2 NMEA wires.

Since my new GPS is compatible I may connect the two wires. It will then display on the GPS the positions of other vessels. Kind of cool I think.

Obviously I need to get the boat prepped for launch before I can install the new devices. The shrinkwrap is off and I need to touch up the bottom paint and get the hull and possibly topsides waxed then I can launch.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » June 8th, 2016, 4:47 am

I plan to install the new GPS later today if all goes as planned. I do have some woodwork to finish up first then the GPS. Pictures to follow upon completion. I have a potential day trip planned next weekend and I need the GPS so I can find the entrance to the marina.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » June 9th, 2016, 2:17 am

I had a busy day today. I finished coating all the outside wood with Sikkins Cetol Marine Light. It looks pretty darn good. Should not have to bother with the wood for a few seasons. It was in dire need in some spots as it took 3 coats in some places to get all the wood covered with a nice finish.

Looking good IMHO.

I removed the old GPS.

And installed the new GPS. I love the details on the charts. Much better than the G-Chart chips on my old GPS.

Just for the heck of it a picture of my new VHF.

All in all it was a busy day but I accomplished all my tasks. It was a perfect day to apply a finish coat to the wood. Low humidity, upper 60's and windy so it dried quickly.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”