Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacing Sole TV's with newer digital units

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Txcruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 560 Voyager, Volvo D12

Replacing Sole TV's with newer digital units

Postby Txcruiser » June 6th, 2016, 4:49 pm

We do a lot of cruising and more and more we encounter digital cable systems that our existing Sole TV's will not recognize. One solution is to replace with new Sole units but of course the new models are of different size than mine!

Has anyone installed just an ordinary 110V TV like we would buy at Walmart? I understand the Sole units are built especially to withstand vibration experienced on a boat but I really don't need the 12V option. We only watch at a dock or with the genset operating.

Any experiences out there regarding TV change out? At one marina where we stayed for a month the local cable company rented us a converter box to turn the signal back to analog and that worked fine. I am not aware of any universal cable signal converter but if one exists that would be the obvious solution . Thanks for any input.

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Re: Replacing Sole TV's with newer digital units

Postby Makin Waves » June 6th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Change them out, use any tv you can buy, I have Sony Bravia

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 6th, 2016, 7:10 pm

The problem is probably deeper than that as you are referring to "cable" so I assume cable service at the marina. Boats are normally set up to read a standard analog coax signal however these signals are disappearing very quickly. My parents who still use analog TV called me just a couple of weeks ago and said the tv no longer works. Called the cable company and they said they do not do analog anymore on their area. Had to buy them a decoder box and hook up this way and explain they need to turn on 2 items now and select an input and their channels have all changed numbers. Not exactly easy when you are 87 years old! I am sure your sole can handle digital as I see the boat is a 2007. That being said you may need to start using a decoder on board even if you have the latest and greatest which again is assuming you are simply connecting cable from the marina. Problem is one cable suppliers decoder will not work with the other so when travelling this will be an issue. I have enjoyed my Intellian Sat system for many years now so obviously I am set no matter where we go ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
Txcruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 560 Voyager, Volvo D12

Postby Txcruiser » June 7th, 2016, 11:12 am

Thanks for the prompt responses! Yes, I am talking about receiving a signal from a marina's cable system. I have one new Sony TV onboard and it works fine at any marina so far. It is just the older Sole units that will not work with digital cable signals. Yes, I have used a cable company's decoder during one long term stay and with it the Sole units also worked fine.

"Makin Waves" response seems to say that any new TV that will fit in the space should work and that makes sense.

I have a Direct TV/KVH system also BUT it does not allow me to receive local channels (other than when I am at my home marina). I like to see local channels as we cruise up and down the East coast. Local weather forecasts are usually more indepth.

When we get settled in Maryland for the summer I'll head to Walmart or Best Buy. Small TVs are pretty cheap these days.

Thanks again.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 7th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Any digital tv will be fine ,i use an inverter if i am out and dont run my genset.dont waste money on a 12v tv.once you have replaced the tv with one that has a digital tuner you could try scanning the off the air antenna input to see what locals you receive. Assuming theres still a antenna inatalled. May suprise you. I do also have an intellion sat that works great with my dishnetwork
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » June 7th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Switch them out. Grab a TV at Walmart and install it. I just installed this 32" LCD on an articulating arm. I have a Amazon Fire TV stick in the back and I get everything streamed. Total investment was $250. I have it wired into my Harmon and Kardon home theatre system with 8 speakers in the salon. Sounds incredible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”