Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
mibeaulieu
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 638 Santiago

Windlass

Postby mibeaulieu » December 10th, 2016, 3:10 pm

I just bought a 1992 Santiago 638 this past fall and I'm looking at a few things that need upgrading.

1. Windlass - I was thinking about the Maxwell RC8-8.
Anyone use the Maxwell? The boat is all wrapped and I don't have access to the bow to measure anything. Anyone know if this will fit the Santego? Thoughts on the quality. Right now the boat has a "Good" all rope windlass but it won't accommodate any chain so I was thinking I would swap them out.

2. Looking at adding Radar and the Simard GO9 XSE seems to offer a ton of value for an 3 in 1 solution. I would potentially fish off this boat a couple times per year. Most likely in Long Island Sound. In addition, I can see a few trips to Block Island. The boat has a GO7 right now.

Although this will be my third boat - it's my first yacht per se and just trying to get a few things out of the way for the winter.

Thanks
1992 Carver Santego 638 aka "630"

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Windlass

Postby bud37 » December 10th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Welcome to the forum........Just a suggestion, but why not stick with Good, they are a family outfit, make real good stuff and all in the USA ( New Jersey) unlike a lot of others ( motors etc) ....I had one in the last boat and was quite pleased with the quality ......perhaps they could recommend how to retrofit your existing....well just a thought considering what you already have......... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 10th, 2016, 6:12 pm

The RC series is an upgrade from the popular Freedom series that Maxwell had much success with for years. I find them pretty reliable, well made, easy to install and work on, and parts are readily available, even for the discontinued Freedom units. Like all others, they require some periodic maintenance which is usually neglected but if you look after it and use it properly, it should last for years.

Remember that if you don't already have one, install a chain stopper so that your anchor doesn't deploy accidentally and so that the load when on anchor is on the stopper and not the windlass itself.

Topic author
mibeaulieu
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 638 Santiago

Postby mibeaulieu » December 11th, 2016, 9:26 am

bud37 wrote:Welcome to the forum........Just a suggestion, but why not stick with Good, they are a family outfit, make real good stuff and all in the USA ( New Jersey) unlike a lot of others ( motors etc) ....I had one in the last boat and was quite pleased with the quality ......perhaps they could recommend how to retrofit your existing....well just a thought considering what you already have......... :beergood:

My first thought was to get the Good retrofitted to accommodate for a chain. Good is a fantastic company but this windlass can't be upgraded for any length of chain.. so I think its better to replace and sell the Good. I was going to buy a couple things over the winter to get the boat ready for spring.
1992 Carver Santego 638 aka "630"

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 11th, 2016, 9:43 am

Oooops,forgot to mention; Welcome Aboard!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 11th, 2016, 5:40 pm

What you need to keep in mind when switching to a different unit is that the current wiring may not be up to spec for the new unit. You'll need to check the gauge/wire size that you have now, and compare it to what you'll need for the RC model you're thinking of. On the Maxwell site;

http://www.maxwellmarine.com/support_manuals.php

click Power and Sail, then RC Series, then RC8, and scroll down to the cable size selection chart on page 15 and you'll see the requirement for the RC8-8 is a minimum 4 AWG wire for a maximum 35' run of cable, on a 12 volt unit. That length is the total of both the positive and negative wire together, from the source to the windlass and back to the source. If the breaker is going to be installed in an easily accessible area like the electrical panel, then your positive wire will be much longer than your negative one. That's okay, you just need to take the total length of both wire runs to determine the wire size that you'll need.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”