Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New GPS this Spring

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Re: New GPS this Spring

Postby denpooch » December 1st, 2017, 10:06 am

Hey Smokey,
I believe that most GPS systems will be able to read depth. That input will require a transducer 'down under' to accomplish this task.
If you fish, there are transducers available that will give you a more sophisticated 'view' of the bottom. The choice will depend on your needs.
The GPS will provide your mapping and direction requirements.
As far as weather prediction, I have two apps on my cell phone. Both are offered by NOAA.
One app will give me the weather forecast, while the second is 'doppler radar' which details storms/rain, etc., in your vicinity. The radar is in 'real' time, within a few minutes, and you can actually follow the path of the storm.
The textbook definition: "Doppler weather radar, is a type of radar used to locate precipitation, calculate its motion, and estimate its type".
This is very useful for both boating and picnics!
Additionally, you can tune your VHF to the weather channel (I believe this is marked 'WX') for the forecast as well as dangerous weather alerts.
Hope this helps. Lots of luck with you new boat.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”