Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New GPS this Spring

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

New GPS this Spring

Postby denpooch » November 16th, 2017, 8:58 am

Hey folks,
I am planning to upgrade the GPS on my 36 this Spring and would like to get feedback on the unit's screen size most appropriate for this vessel. As you know the screen sizes range from 5" and go on up.
My thinking is leading me to a 9" display. Does it make sense to look at 10 or 12"... or smaller for that matter?
Although there is a cost differential as I move up in size, I figure that I will be upgrading just one time and want to 'get it right'.
What display size do you folks use? Which manufacturers do you like?
I know one person that has their unit mounted on an 'arm' to move around. Does anyone employ that kind of configuration?
I will be likely be looking at models with a touch screen.
All thoughts are much appreciated.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: New GPS this Spring

Postby g36 » November 16th, 2017, 9:35 am

good luck with your search theres lots of nice stuff out there. presently i have 9 " displays for my 405 i have them mounted on a arm/pod. i didnt want to cut out the dash for install in case of selling the boat and because although i also "try to get it right" also, theres to many nice toys out there that really have a pull on you ever so often . so if i upgrade its less of hassle :-D
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » November 16th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Thanks g36.
Regarding the arm/pod... is it secured using fasteners (drilled holes) or some kind of suction or Velcro fixation?
Also, since you mount as such does the unit function as a 'stand alone' or is it in fact interfaced to other systems (auto pilot, depth transducer, etc.)
I appreciate your input.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 16th, 2017, 12:43 pm

You do realize there is no such thing as a one time upgrade.. :-D .......when I go from my old ray marine stuff, I will return to a Garmin something...likeky the 9 or 10" touch screen versions ....had one before and loved it, almost intuitive and you can interface all your engine data etc, etc on them, if you have a data bus etc installed, skies the limit I guess....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » November 16th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Yes. I am leaning Garmin. My friend has one and loves it.
They also feature a card that will provide a recommended route for your trip. I think that this feature will be helpful in unfamiliar waters. I dont know if other vendors offer that same routing software.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 16th, 2017, 9:47 pm

The bigger the screen you can practically get in the space the better IMO. Today's NMEA 2000 units allow so much integration that it almost IS "sky's the limit." The problem is that if you want to monitor all this stuff you're either constantly scrolling the display from one input to another or combining several on the screen at once. This can be very beneficial but the more inputs you display at once, the smaller the data/graphics get in each window which can make things difficult to read at a glance. Just 2 inputs up at the same time can cut the size of each in half or more and what starts off as a 9" screen suddenly only gives you an equivalent of a 4" display for each of the two inputs, hence the popularity of multiple display installations that allow you to maximize the display of a few inputs at the same time. Most will dedicate one display for the chart and another (or more) for all other inputs that can be switched as needed.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 17th, 2017, 1:41 am

When I had to buy a new GPS last year I went with one of the 9" Garmin units. I am very happy I did. There is so much data on the screen the larger size makes it easier to read the data displayed on the screen. Obviously if you have the room go bigger, go as big as you have room for. You will not regret the decision.

My Garmin unit.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 17th, 2017, 9:19 am

Den pooch I have drilled the mounts so no velcro. I use lowrance hds / simrad system. Nmea 2000 network. I usually have display for chartplotter with radar over layed on top of the chart The other for depth, various sensor readings such as engine temps I set up temp sensors on the engines exhaust mainfolds so if there is a problem with cooling water ill see a rise in exhaust temp and know i need to do someting even before the engine sensor alarms and video input , fusion radio etc.my other boat I had fuel flow but not on my 405
Last edited by g36 on November 17th, 2017, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

denpooch
Commander
Commander

Postby denpooch » November 17th, 2017, 11:14 am

Great Information and as usual, your insights are very helpful.
Thanks for the feedback.

United States of America
smoky mt gypsy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: carver 3200 1995

Postby smoky mt gypsy » November 26th, 2017, 4:33 pm

wowww help I have my first boat larger than an 18/ fish/ski. I have a 1995 carver 32. I really noticed by the reply there are many choices. WHat in your opinions do I need to show me depth so I do not bottom out, direction so I do not go in circles on the Mississippi.. lol and also, and please forgive my ignorance, but I need to know about any weather conditions I need to know about. Is there a good device that will show me these things, or do I need more than one to be able to observe all things?

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”