Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Do I need AIS - navigation upgrade

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Do I need AIS - navigation upgrade

Postby amanphoto » January 1st, 2018, 5:22 pm

I'm working on upgrading my navigation on my Carver Mariner.

I boat mainly on Lake Ontario around the Rochester, NY area. There is not a lot of commercial traffic around here, well there is one Large ship that comes and goes out of here every month or so. I don't think that charter fishing boat broadcast AIS.

Currently on my boat, I have a small Garman 535 gps with no map detail downloaded for my area. It tells me my speed and where I've been - bread crumb lines. I also have depth gauge that tells only my depth. I have a GPS VHF radio (non AIS).

I brought this boat back from Ohio using my smart phone with Navionics app. Worked great but makes it hard to use my phone for other things. Not to mention it's on of the smaller screened smart phones.

My thoughts where to buy an older Ipad 4th Generation (with cellular has built in GPS). I was going to install a wifi sonar sender that will overlay depth and temp info onto my Navionics app running on the Ipad. (I was going with Wi-Fish or Sonar Phone).

My questions is do I need to add AIS to my system?

I plan on taking some trips across the lake to Canada and maybe down the lake to the Thousand Islands.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Do I need AIS - navigation upgrade

Postby Midnightsun » January 1st, 2018, 5:46 pm

I upgraded my VHF radio and decided to go with a model that gave me AIS as an option because like you I am on a heavily traveled commercial route. This was much cheaper than going AIS stand alone or getting a plotter. That being said I did not think it would be all that advantageous however it is nice to be able to see the big guys on the chartplotter well ahead or behind you so in the end I do like the feature. Do you need it, no, but it is a nice feature although quite spendy. This is the unit that I chose to allow me to receive the AIS broadcast. http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=10809
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » January 1st, 2018, 8:50 pm

Ais is ok if the guy that's going to collide with you or you with him also had ais.

If you are on a budget buy a decent used radar. Then it doesn't matter if anybody has ais.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 2nd, 2018, 7:00 am

I agree with Fred. Unless you are in heavy commercial traffic and need specific vessel ID of those around you, the money can be better used for other navigation tools. As mentioned, you'd be better off getting radar. It'll give a heck of a lot more information about your surroundings and capture everything from rain to vessels that don't have AIS. Great for traveling at night.

If your goal is to be more visible to the big guys, install a radar reflector. It'll increase the size of you as a target on their radar. Also a must if you travel at night.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » January 2nd, 2018, 4:59 pm

I follow a lot of those sailors that are circumnavigating. AIS seems to only be used at night and going into ports with lots of commercial traffic... again at night.

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 2nd, 2018, 6:25 pm

I don't know much about AIS, but everyone I know that travelled from the west end of Lake Ontario to the Thousand island area had at least one radar reflector on their boat for travel in shipping lanes.Those big guys thump along at quite a clip and can be on you rather quickly.That said I think if you have radar, the array itself even when off, can act like a bit of a reflector.......but I would still install a reflector if I was to spend any time in the shipping lanes....... :beergood: ... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » January 3rd, 2018, 10:25 am

My thoughts.. You 'need' AIS just as much as you 'need' a boat. If you want it get it. If it gives you some peace of mind knowing what the commercial traffic is doing then its money well spent. Remember, we are all out on the water to enjoy the experience. Having a little more awareness of what is going on around you can help ease some of the worry.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » January 4th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Do the charter fisherman broadcast and AIS signal?

United States of America
RaRa
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 32 Montego

Postby RaRa » March 11th, 2018, 2:30 pm

The guys here turn it off so they can’t be followed to “hot spots”. Then they pop up on way back in. The cruise ships are class A or B, while I am a D. Just one more piece to the puzzle.
1989 Montego 3257 @ Galveston Yacht Basin

amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate

Postby amanphoto » March 15th, 2018, 8:00 am

RaRa wrote:Source of the post The guys here turn it off so they can’t be followed to “hot spots”. Then they pop up on way back in. The cruise ships are class A or B, while I am a D. Just one more piece to the puzzle.

Good point! Never thought about that. Thanks.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”