Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Autopilot for older boat

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Truenorth
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1976 Carver Santa Cruz 2866

Autopilot for older boat

Postby Truenorth » April 4th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Looking for autopilot advice,

It looks like it's time for me to install an autopilot on my boat since my previous autopilots grew up and moved away from home :). My boat is a 28ft Carver Santa Cruz 2866 with twin inboard OMC straight shaft engines. My steering system is a dual station mechanical cable system (Morse brand I believe). For navigation I use a Simrad NSS 12. My question is: has anyone installed an autopilot on one of these mechanical cable steering systems successfully? Or do I need to convert the whole system over to a new hydraulic system? The current steering system works fine so would not need to convert it over to hydraulic if there is a suitable autopilot that will work on the mechanical system.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Truenorth

United States of America
PhilH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Californian 45 M/Y, 1990 Cat 3208 diesels

Re: Autopilot for older boat

Postby PhilH » April 21st, 2018, 3:21 am

Am just finishing up first time autopilot on Californian 45 with hynautic steering (an old but popular system now owned by seastar) Raytheon makes several systems, some that work with cable, sail (pulleys) chain, and ram systems. Ck online or at a marine supply store or see Raytheon website. Your system should be fairly simple.

Topic author United States of America
Truenorth
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1976 Carver Santa Cruz 2866

Re: Autopilot for older boat

Postby Truenorth » April 26th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Thanks! I will check that option out!

Truenorth

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”