Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Depth Sounder/ Fish Finder Advice

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Depth Sounder/ Fish Finder Advice

Postby Midnightsun » June 18th, 2018, 6:18 am

I changed most of my electronics last year with the exception of my depth sounder. As of last weekend it is almost dead. I say almost because it sometimes say no sounder found or it shows it there but no depth reading or for a very limited tine I get a reading. Will try resetting all the connectors but fear the unit is slowly dying. Before I changed electronics it was very finicky and after seemed to work as advertised however started acting up again. Existing unit is a legacy DSM300 sounder and a P319 Transducer both of which are discontinued.

Not that I really need a fish finder but the newer chirp stuff does seem to give a pretty nice view of the bottom. Looking to purchase a cp100 sounder http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=8069 combined with a CPT-110 transducer.

That being said I will not install until end of season haul out as I do need to drill the hull for transducer installation unless I can work out a deal with my haul out guy such as pull her out a few feet, I drill and install and plop her back in.

Any comments suggestions appreciated before I plop down another $700.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Depth Sounder/ Fish Finder Advice

Postby Midnightsun » June 19th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Well it turns out it was just a bad connection. The connector which plugs into the sounder module from the sounders to be exact. Everything is up and running now. Hopefully for good and if not, I know where the problem lies. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 21st, 2018, 5:57 am

Glad to hear it was such an easy fix!!!!!!!

United States of America
lewistodd
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Dedicated to the conservation, protection, and enhancement of fish, wildlife, and plants, as well as the habitats that support them.

Postby lewistodd » May 30th, 2021, 2:56 pm

I am using this for a helix seven mounted on predator 13 (Kayak). It works great, it was made for the helix 7, so there was no having to figure out a mounting solution as I did with much other stuff on my kayak. This thing, like all RAM Mounts, hold what you need to save and do it well. It's made out of metal, looks to be a 1/4 20 bolt attached to the tension knob. It's pretty hefty, which is good because I don't want my fish finder anywhere other than in my boat.

The mount is easy and quick to install or remove before or after use. On the water, the mount holds the unit very rigidly, i.e., it does not shake or shift when on-plane or in rough waters because of the rubber ball. http://fishvantage.com With that, you do not need to tighten the clamp as much as you may think for it not to move. So far, driving 75-plus miles per hour or cutting three-foot rollers has not shifted or slipped the mounted unit.

I've used several RAM Mounts over the years, and they continue to perform well for me. Even if you don't NEED it, I'd recommend getting one for the ability to fine-tune your viewing angle. Also, you will get aware of the fishfinder and how it works.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”