Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

ray marine st60 tridata to MFD depth

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

ray marine st60 tridata to MFD depth

Postby bud37 » June 24th, 2018, 7:44 pm

So now I have a question as I do not get this interface stuff info at all.....does anyone know if the data from the st60 transducer can show fish finder like displays on Raymarine c80 Mfd. I now have two transducers, one for speed and temp and the other for depth both correctly wired to the st60 tridata, there are two sea talk ports on the back with one being used as power for the unit near as I can tell.
The C80 MFD has a sea talk cable connected to it from a Raymarine white box ( junction box only).....two into the box, one from the GPS antenna, the other 12volts to feed the sea talk I believe.I have tested all connections and all functions as it should, so after all this lengthy story, my real question is if I connect the st60 to the Mfd will I get a fish finder looking display and if so how the heck do I do it.
Also have a Garmin gpsmap942xs which is fish finder display capable, just don't know if the st60 will talk to the Garmin.
So if anyone understands this .....please help.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: ray marine st60 tridata to MFD depth

Postby Viper » June 24th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Pretty sure the C80 would only display the digital depth data through the seatalk network. To display proper sounding graphics, you have to have a DSM (depth sounder module) which is a separate computer box which has all the depth sounder electronics, then it sends that data to the display. Most displays now are dumb units unless they have built-in circuitry to process the more complicated sounder data. If I recall, the C80 used the DSM300. These would have a separate "Transducer" plug input on the back of the display.

The only way the Garmin will communicate with the ST60 is if the ST60 can pick up NMEA sounder sentences from the Garmin. The Garmin must be able to output those and the ST60 must be able to input and recognize them. These sentences are generic NMEA sentences for sounders.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 25th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Oh well, i will bet those DSM units are long gone now, sounds really complicated.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 26th, 2018, 7:19 am

You can get them on ebay, there's always someone upgrading and selling their older components. Just confirm the model you actually need.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 26th, 2018, 9:22 am

Searches have provided a fair bit of info on those DSM modules and associated wiring connectors, well lets just say enough for me to avoid used equipment ( MIM ) , I am thinking to hunt around from some local guys etc , looks like maybe a no go...its too bad really cause the C80 I have is like brand new, never left on dash..... :popcorn:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 26th, 2018, 10:42 pm

I've gotten tons of older electronics off ebay from displays, to radar, to modules, cables, VHF, GPS, etc. etc....even a DSM250, and have never had an issue with anything I've bought. Buy it off someone that has a good reputation, has sold many items, and has good feedback. Has worked for me. The DSM250 had a bad wrap for gremlins but a buddy is still running an original that I bought off ebay for him years ago and it's still ticking.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Thanks for the info, been helpful getting me started on what to look for....Will wait for a still working made in Hungary , dsm300 with the cables.

Spoke to a marine instrument/electrical installer who said all he has ever taken out were all bad, it seems they did have troubles with the MIM ones, apparently they stepped up and repaired them though...... :down: . Would have been nice to turn the C80 into a fish finder/backup chart plotter ..... :cry:

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”