Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Refrigerator Question

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Refrigerator Question

Postby Sadey » December 18th, 2018, 9:40 am

Why does my refrigerator appear to still be on, not cooling just making noises, even though I have turned the temperature selector to the off position inside the fridg. The only way I can get the refrigerator to stop making noise is to turn the breaker off on the electrical panel. The problem is there is an outlet that powers a lamp that I use instead of the 12 V lighting that is on the refrigerator breaker. Is this normal?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Refrigerator Question

Postby tomschauer » December 18th, 2018, 10:40 am

Normally the fridge will turn completely off when the control switch is turned completely counter clockwise until it clicks. Not sure what yours is doing. Its not uncommon the have other outlets on the same circuit. Look in a cabinet near the fridge and you should be able to find where its plugged in and unplug it. Also make sure your 12v refrigerator breaker is turned off or it will do whatever its doing and maybe drain your batteries.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 18th, 2018, 11:20 am

Tom is spot on! Check that breaker on your 12V side asap. You may want to turn the 12V main breaker off, or your CO2 detectors may drain your batteries. What kind of fridge is it? They all have on-off switches installed. Sometimes it is on the temp dial, sometimes it is in the very back of the unit like an up-down tab switch and a green on light. It will have a simple grounded plug in a common box outlet, but sometimes those are hard to get to.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 18th, 2018, 11:38 am

Sadey wrote:Source of the post Why does my refrigerator appear to still be on, not cooling just making noises, even though I have turned the temperature selector to the off position inside the fridg.....

What is the make and model? Does the fridge work and cool down otherwise?

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm

It works normally. Just doesn’t seem to shut down completely. I will check for the dc breaker. When I get home I’ll look up the make and model. When I leave the boat I turn off the main battery switch. The other three switches are off for the season. Further I have all the breakers off both in the salon and at the helm. I only turn on what I need when visiting the boat. One draw back to heated storage...the beer in the fridge is at 55 degrees.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 18th, 2018, 9:31 pm

I have a solution. Heated storage is great isn't it? My main way to maintain sanity over the looonnng winter. That beer issue is a problem. Step 1- get large bucket and fill with beer in bottles/cans. Step 2 - Fill remainder of bucket with ice. Step 3 - Leave on swim platform so nothing gets wet by accident inside boat. Each time you do this, notify all of us so we can help with keeping a vigilant look out. :beergood: By the way, what was the address for the storage facility? ;-)
Cooler By The Lake

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 19th, 2018, 5:21 am

Great plan Cooler! Winthrop harbor in the building across from the restaurant. By the way sorry for your loss :-D! Da Bears. Was up your way over the weekend. Went to Lambeau for a tour...and to put the hex on.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 19th, 2018, 9:05 am

I wonder....does it sound like a small fan running.....if so perhaps someone has a small computer fan hard wired in back there for extra cooling........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » December 20th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Sadey! Mr Rodgers & the rest of his neighborhood doesn't need any hex. They need to get a little excited about playing football. I think they turned this season into draft choice mode a few games ago. ANYWAY, why didn't you let me know you were coming up? Could have had some margarita's on board CBTL. Did you scope out any marina's for your cruise to Door County next season? Really, let me know if you plan to come up and I can provide a lot of info, and maybe a Door County cruise. By the way, did you realize you were only 10 miles from Carver's main production facility and corporate office?
8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » December 20th, 2018, 6:44 pm

A buddy replaced his Norcold with a new one. It failed within a few months.
Turns out he should have also bought a fan kit that circulates air behind the fridge. I believe it runs off a thermostat.
Maybe you have the same setup.
Are there vents on the sides of the fridge cabinet? Remove one and shed some light in there. I bet you see a fan.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”