Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Running a transducer wire in a 405

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Running a transducer wire in a 405

Postby Wayne162 » January 28th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Has anybody previously run a wire from the engine room to the bridge helm on a Carver 405. I installed a thru-hull bronze transducer with a high speed faring block about a year ago while on the hard. My intent was to take my time and run the power feed harness at a later date. My dilemma is that I have not found a chase or a easy route for the wire to get to the bridge, nor have I found a layout of a 405 that may provide the information if available. Currently, the transducer is located aft of the starboard engine with the wire zip tied to the bulkhead. Any suggestions or knowledge from someone who has run one is appreciated.

:usa:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Running a transducer wire in a 405

Postby g36 » January 28th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I have run several on my 405 for nmea network etc. Stsrting in the engine room in the upper aft corner is the route youll take. Pull up the engine access aft on stbs side on the wall of the salon I have 3 compartment s. The bottom storage door has an access panel that you unscrew. The smaller vertical door beside t h at has a screws holding a panel also this will allow you to see the othe wires that run through this space. Then you'll nwed to remove the little piece that's velcroed in the corner by the window mine had the co monitor on it. Then go outside to fly and remove the screws that hold on the large vinyl trim piece lift it straight up it has hangers holding the top so don't pull it away from wall but lift it. Then unscrew the deck fittings in the side walls and you'll now have access to the wires it would be easiest here to snake a line down a use it as a pull wire to get your wire up to this point. Fyi leave a pull string in the route so if you need to pull anything else it will be much easier. the last part is to remove the screws holding the vinyl trim piece on the floor. The screws are hidden in the carpet in cubby above you can find them in the carpet or feel.to get access to the helm remove the front cushion let me know if you need help on that too. and I also ran a pull wire from there to the outside where you removed the trim panel. Easy peasy. Really it's not at all hard to do this so I may lost you along the way but let me know I'll help you out.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » January 28th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Thanks G36.
I am not on the boat right now although Charleston sounds pretty good at 70 degrees today so I wish I was. In NJ waiting on the polar vortex with everybody else for now. When I get back aboard I will follow your guidance and see where it leads me. Starboard salon, I have an opening for a smaller TV that now has a larger flat screen over it from the previous owner and aft of that is a bar area at the top of the master stateroom steps to starboard. On another note, my boat also has stereo speakers in the salon and aft stateroom. I have never been able to find where those speaker wires terminated to a receiver. It would appear that a stereo at some point was in I believe the salon but have no idea how it was laid out. If I could find the wires I was going to put a new stereo aboard.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » January 28th, 2019, 9:56 pm

I have the factory stereo setup and speakers in the locations you mentioned . The large square compartment at the top of the stairs to the aft cabin is where it is housed. It is a home style receiver with cd ,cassette and tuner amp, 3 pieces stacked on each other and fitted in the compartment. No doors . My boat oem came with a small inverter to run this but I have replaced the oem inverter to larger size and a layout that works for our needs. It sounds like that may be your bar area. On my boat the taller vertical compartment had some built in bottle holders which I removed for more storage. I bet you will find the speaker wires behind one of these compartments when you open them to run your transducer wire.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » January 29th, 2019, 11:02 am

That's exactly where the bar is. Glasses to the right with bottles in the main area. Thanks

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 9th, 2019, 9:20 am

Hey G36,
Thanks for the info on the routing path to the bridge. I tried it last week with other maintenance issues and followed your guide. I got all the way up above the inside starboard closet and just below the access cover above the first step from the sundeck to starboard side helm. Apparently their is an elbow turn their and I ran out of fishing wire. I had to stop at that point for the day, but plan to continue the route next time on the boat.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » May 18th, 2019, 9:59 am

Hey G36,
Finished the job! ran the transducer cable to the bridge consul and buttoned everything up. Next I will connect to my DSM 300 and Raymarine 820's. Have to read up on that first. Thanks

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”