Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacment Switch for TV reception

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Replacment Switch for TV reception

Postby Cliffm » January 30th, 2019, 9:34 am

Anyone replace the cable/TV antenna selector switch?

Ours was located under the stairs entering the salon. I think its part of the package with the Shakespeare Amplified TV antenna. Ours failed to OHM out and wouldn't allow the cable connection or TV connection to pass thru on either setting.

For now we bypassed it, feed the comcast cable box directly to salon HDMI TV input, with a 1by_one flat panel TV antenna that works really well for its size.

I would like to get it wired back to factory specs, even if it means bypassing the arch antenna in favor of the 1by_one version.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Replacment Switch for TV reception

Postby g36 » January 30th, 2019, 10:00 am

did you rescan for channels when using the comcast box or shakepeare antenna with the switch box in place? you should have picked up something . in the tv setup channel settings you'd also have to pick ota (over the air) for antenna or cable as the source. since you are using hdmi now your bypassing the tv tuner. so can you hook up directly from the coax from the comcast box and rescan to see what you have as temp measure, i use dish sat service so i',m not sure what comcast is sending to your set .will you be using the comcast box as the tuner ie. changing channels with its remote ? that seems what you will be doing since you are using the hdmi out of the box now. or the tv 's tuner to change the channels then? switch box may not ohm out but that may not really be the issue. another temporary check would be to get a female to female "f" fitting and at the a/b switch just connect the wires directly one at a time to tv coax and see what you get when you rescan.

https://www.showmecables.com/f-type-fem ... 5sQAvD_BwE
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » January 30th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Re reading your question you have a good option why not leave your comcast box on hdmi to tv this is your best video anyway and then try connecting the Shakespeare antenna to the tv with the female F coupler I mentioned and rescan . And also verify your power supply is on to the Shakespeare. Do away with the a/b switch and then just change sources on the tv like your doing. The Shakespeare could be bad or if no power to it could be the problem. If it s bad mount your new 1 by one if it's doing a good job for you. Sorry for the long posts
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » January 30th, 2019, 1:13 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post Re reading your question you have a good option why not leave your comcast box on hdmi to tv this is your best video anyway and then try connecting the Shakespeare antenna to the tv with the female F coupler I mentioned and rescan . And also verify your power supply is on to the Shakespeare. Do away with the a/b switch and then just change sources on the tv like your doing. The Shakespeare could be bad or if no power to it could be the problem. If it s bad mount your new 1 by one if it's doing a good job for you. Sorry for the long posts

yes verified power, however the switch is bad, won't ohm out a pass thru for either selection, therefor blocks both arch antenna signal or the cable signal.
obviously bypassing works, but wanted to know if anyone has replaced theirs, if so, what did they use? where id they get it?
I'm unable to find just the switch on it's own.
thanks

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » January 30th, 2019, 9:44 pm

1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.