Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

VHF/AIS

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

VHF/AIS

Postby Sadey » February 11th, 2019, 9:32 am

In the process of updating my navigation package and I would like to update my VHF radio as well. I have all Raymarine equipment. What are your thoughts on VHF with a see only AIS or a VHF with a separate See and be seen AIS? I realize that not everybody uses AIS. However it has been a great safety feature in aircraft (TCAS) for a number of years by adding another layer of protection against collision. Because of its more limited maritime use is it worth the extra money? How many people out there are using AIS currently?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: VHF/AIS

Postby waybomb » February 11th, 2019, 12:28 pm

My 2 cents:
I don't have it. I have a very good radar set. There is not much commercial traffic around Saint Joseph, and I can pick any up any traffic in plenty of time to avoid any trouble.

Most recreational boaters don't have it, and those that do are usually equipped with decent radar. If they aren't paying attention to their radar and zones, they aren't paying attention to AIS.

I am more worried about those darn jetskis and small runabouts, which definitely do not have AIS. Heck, most don't have an operational radio.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 11th, 2019, 12:34 pm

AIS can be handy if you are in an area where large ships are present such as myself on the St Lawrence Seaway. That being said I did invest in a unit that receives only, a combo unit from Raymarine, Ray 70 which I believe is now the Ray 73. I get warned as they approach and can see the name heading and speed of the boat, they also appear as a triangle on my chart plotter.

The need for ability to transmit your boat info will vary greatly on how and where you boat. In my case I saw no need for it. I can tell you there are very few private boats in my area on both the US and Canadian side that transmit AIS. Apart from a few large looper trawlers or a mega yacht the private boats are not transmitting.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 11th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Morning all! My VHF has AIS capability, but I don't use it. There are almost no boaters up here that use it, even if they have the capability. I don't cruise at night at all, and traffic around here is pretty light 95% of the time. Sadey - you probably have significantly more traffic in your area, so it may be a help to you. Most radios have some AIS capability built in, so maybe it will evolve as a more usable feature in the next few years. Like Waybomb said, I also am way more concerned with PWC's and runabouts with limited equipment and no experience. On a side note, do you guys have a solution for PWC operators who think jumping your wake is an entitlement? I am so tired of these guys getting way too close, I have to keep my flare gun locked up, so my anger can dissipate before I do something stupid. Then, when they roll over or flip, I am required to render assistance? Geeez Louise! Wish there was a rule that excuses you from assist like, " if you're trying to get hurt,..and you get hurt,..then you got what you were asking for. See ya!" That sounds bad, I don't really mean it that way. 20 inches of snow by end of week. Just blew out the first 6. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 11th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Cooler,

Most radios have DSC not AIS. Only a few High end models have built in AIS. Take Raymarine as an example, their only radio that does AIS which is receiving only goes for around $800 US. :-O Standard Horizons top of the line does AIS also at a better price.

As for the jet skis I love to watch them almost wipe out as they severely underestimate my wake many times. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 11th, 2019, 5:45 pm

OOPS, you are correct. I am too old to keep track of all these acronyms. We need a few more ACR's for stuff like DSC and TBI's so we don't confuse them with WTH. Yep, the PWC operators are a real nuisance over here. Last season I had one on my port side line up for a jump. I knew what he was going to do so I did not change course, and he was on my port side. He flies by no more than 50 feet from me, turns to port to catch my wake, and rolled in the air. What a DA, ( acronym ). Hurt his shoulder, so I turned back, picked him up. It was a rental PWC, I did not tow it in. Let him figure it out after he explained what he was thinking to the rental company. Main reason I did not tow it was I did not want to have anyone accuse me of damaging the PWC. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”