Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Autopilot Compass Location?

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Trixboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 560 Voyager

Autopilot Compass Location?

Postby Trixboat » June 28th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Can someone please tell me the compass location in our 2005 56 Voyager. I understand that it should be aft and low, perhaps on the aft bulkhead. Generator located there, so not obvious where find it. On edit, I see this should have been posted on Electronics, oh well.
TIA, Keith
2005 560 Skylounge
Volvo D12 675 HP

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Autopilot Compass Location?

Postby Viper » June 29th, 2019, 6:33 am

If they were all factory installed they'd all likely be in the same location but a lot of systems are installed by dealers so it can be anywhere. I've seen them in closets, inside the helm dash, cabinets, behind drawers, under births, under hinged steps, etc. Machinery spaces such as the engine compartment would be the last place I'd look as it's a good practice not to install in such areas. I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere on the bridge of a Voyager as the idea is to keep them mounted low but you never know.

What brand and vintage of electronics do you have? And are you looking for it because there's a problem or just curious?

Hopefully some larger Voyager owners will chime in. Either way, let us know the location when you do find it.

United States of America
Chipita
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 56ft. Skylounge

Postby Chipita » June 29th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Ray marine st6001 2005 vintage

Trixboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Trixboat » June 29th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Partner on the Voyager joined the conversation.
2005 560 Skylounge
Volvo D12 675 HP

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 30th, 2019, 9:24 am

Start by opening cupboards and pulling drawers. I assume you know what the unit looks like? Is there a problem with it?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Probably under the instruments at the upper helm. You should have a large access panel to get in there.At least this is where they put mine. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Trixboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Trixboat » July 1st, 2019, 12:26 am

Well, the compass was under the master stateroom floor. The operative word is "was." Much to our dismay, there is a foot print and four screw holes on the aft bulkhead and a bundled five wire cable on the deck. So, compass was removed. There will be a serious discussion with the mechanic who conducted the sea trial about why he didn't determine that the auto pilot couldn't hold a heading. Our bad too obviously. We are headed over to Harbor Island tomorrow, join our boat partners and then decide next steps. The compass unit is available used and new for cheap. May just buy the part and see if we can calibrate it. Or may buy new system and start abandoning portions of the ancient electronics.
2005 560 Skylounge
Volvo D12 675 HP

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”