Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Access to electrical under helm

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Access to electrical under helm

Postby Cooler » November 7th, 2019, 11:03 am

Thanks for all the responses! You guy's are great! Yes, I planned on having a bag of cable ties, several flashlights, connectors, tools, etc. Final question: Can I remove the helm seat without taking the post base out? It is really secure right now and I prefer to not remove screws unless there is no other way. Does the post pop out of the base, similar to the posts that hold up the table? The post will have to come out to clear the footwell.
Viper - yes, Hydraulic steering and I will check for leaks. Thanks.
Bud - yep, lot's of room. AND, cup holders up the wazoo!
Waybomb - the good news is, the previous owner did not mess with anything other than installing the GPS. It's all from the factory. He actually never even filled the trim tab reservoir upon delivery when new. The screw that holds the cover down was still taped to the reservoir cover, with the little memo that said must be filled for operation. The surveyor got a chuckle out of that. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » November 7th, 2019, 12:39 pm

On mine, the pipe comes out of the base. It is a different base than original. May not apply.
Certainly the seat comes off the post, and just work around the post.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm

OK. Update for those who are curious about progress. The footwell was easier to remove than I anticipated. It does slide out without taking the post out of the seat pedestal. Seat just lifts up from post. The post does not pop out of the base. Once that well is removed, there is a mini-cavern to crawl into. Surprisingly clean in there. If not for the wiring, a small person could sleep in there. I thought the buss bar for power connections would have screw type connectors, they do not. They have blade connectors, and plenty of them. So, back to the store for connectors. Did find one oddity on rudder gauge. Two connectors were rubbing together. Will insert a cardboard insulator between them as the male ends on the back of the gauge are really tight together. Maybe that will solve my rudder angle issue. Rudders are straight, but the gauge will show slightly to the starboard side. Will finish this minor project this afternoon. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 8th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Sounds like yours is just like mine. If I were you, I'd plan on changing out those blade connector buss bars to screw terminals. I've already done that with the feed, actually installing a fuse panel to separate the circuits. It also has a negative screw buss and I've been moving the negative wires as well as I've been changing things.

The blade connectors won't fail, but they will create a bit of resistance as the terminals oxidize. You'll lose a volt or two to whatever is connected. Stuff will still work, just not as well.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 8th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Clean up your wiring and separate fuse holders with one of these from Blue Sea:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/5026/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_12_Circuits_with_Negative_Bus_and_Cover

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 11th, 2019, 1:15 pm

KM & Viper. Thanks for those suggestions, you are both right! Unfortunately, this thick, aging body of mine convinced me to stick with the status quo. The good news is, there was really minor corrosion in that space. Looks like whoever the PO hired to install the GPS/Sonar in 2016, did a good clean up of the entire area when they did that job. That is consistent with the way the PO took care of Cooler before I acquired her. He did all repairs with a first class shop. Anyway, replacement cable is in, all strapped up and ready for next season. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”