Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Chart plotter Update?

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Chart plotter Update?

Postby Craig_B » January 29th, 2020, 9:37 am

When we purchased our Carver it came with a Standard Horizon CP500 chartplotter.
The card thats in it works just fine for the local lakes I usually boat on but this fall we will be heading down the ICW to the Bahamas.
I would like a card(S) that will give the the most recent info for those areas.
However I seem to be having a hard time even finding somewhere to purchase new or updated cards. Are they obsolete??
The S.H. website is of no use at all unless you want a manual.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Chart plotter Update?

Postby km1125 » January 29th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Roughly, how old is that chartplotter? What type (format) of cards does it use... CF, SD, mSD or something else?

A lot of the cards are made by 3rd parties like Navionics but just branded differently by other manufacturers.

EDIT- just did a quick search on that model, and it looks like they are C-MAP or C-MAP Max.

If that's right, then you can get them (but they are pretty pricey!):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-C-MAP-MAX- ... 0005.m1851

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 29th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Craig;

Buy yourself an iPad and purchase the Navionics charts from the app store for a 1/4 the cost (under $100), and if you subscribe they are always updated for an annual fee of $29.99. The charts you buy are for North America and you only down load what you want. They are extremely clear and accurate. I use iPad as my primary and a friend of mine goes to the Bahamas all the time and uses the iPad. I use my Ray E80 as a backup and general mapping, as the chip is outdated as well.

There was an earlier thread on this issue if you want more details.

If you do decide to go with the iPad you must get the one that has WiFi and the wireless capability to get the GPS chip. You do NOT need to subscribe to a wireless carrier and it does NOT use data. As you know they also have the 12.9" screen, thats my next purchase.

If you want to know more, just ask.

Greg

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Postby Craig_B » January 29th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post Craig;

Buy yourself an iPad and purchase the Navionics charts from the app store for a 1/4 the cost (under $100), and if you subscribe they are always updated for an annual fee of $29.99. The charts you buy are for North America and you only down load what you want. They are extremely clear and accurate. I use iPad as my primary and a friend of mine goes to the Bahamas all the time and uses the iPad. I use my Ray E80 as a backup and general mapping, as the chip is outdated as well.

There was an earlier thread on this issue if you want more details.

If you do decide to go with the iPad you must get the one that has WiFi and the wireless capability to get the GPS chip. You do NOT need to subscribe to a wireless carrier and it does NOT use data. As you know they also have the 12.9" screen, thats my next purchase.

If you want to know more, just ask.

Greg

I was actually planning on purchasing a tablet and Navionics but also thought having the plotter updated and accurate as well would be a good idea.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » January 29th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Craig,

I’m with you. I have current charts on both my Raymarine E80 and also on my IPad too. Both use Navionics. I use one for a broader overview of my route and the other I use so that I can zoom in on specific areas. My iPad doesn’t have wireless capabilities, so I use a Bad Elf GPS with Lightning connector. I also try and keep paper charts too. While it may be overkill, you can’t ever have too much information. While I may have more than I need, I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 30th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Craig_B wrote:Source of the post The card thats in it works just fine for the local lakes I usually boat on but this fall we will be heading down the ICW to the Bahamas.

I have come to understand that in many areas of the ICW, the shoaling/sand bars change position quite frequently along with some channel markers. That being said, I believe there are some aps that can help with local knowledge on your trip as the navionics are updated, but not that quickly. Just a heads up.

Are you going in your Santego ?...sounds like a great time..... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
quickdecision
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 3807, 1987

Postby quickdecision » January 30th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Get a tablet with Aqua maps, masters. Just ran 2042 miles with no problems. This is a requirement for east coast shoaling.

Ron

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”