Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

396 Stereo Lovers

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

396 Stereo Lovers

Postby 650Guy » June 16th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Hello all 396 owners. I'm contemplating upgrading my stereo. Currently I have 2 independent radio's installed which is quite cumbersome.

what I would really love to do is remove both, and install a single unit that I could hear and use anywhere. To complicate things more I would REALLY REALLY love to tie in the TV so it could support the surround sound.

Has anyone tackled such a project? Maybe just upgraded the radio? I'm really not looking to putting a Dance Floor in my 396, just looking to get some idea's from what you all have done.

Would I be TOTALLY crazy to try and install a home surround sound system in? I mean if its in the main salon, its as comfortable as my family room of my house... :-D

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: 396 Stereo Lovers

Postby Tireless » June 16th, 2020, 10:03 pm

I have kept what was in the boat when I bought it and it works for me. I have a Fusion Stereo/DVD player beside the TV in the salon. It provides great sound through two ceiling speakers and a sub that is behind the curl of the sofa in the salon. It is wired to the TV for DVD’s.

I also have the Clarion Stereo on the dash in the fly bridge with a 1000 watt amp that pushes sound into the bridge with a sub, aft deck and the cockpit. I can play sound in the fly, aft deck and the cockpit or cancel the sound in these area’s using the fade. The speakers are JL Audio and they are very nice.

I have considered having one system, but I like to be able to separate the sound from inside the salon and outside. This is so the Admiral can do her thing and I can listen to what I want.

If I was going to upgrade I would just get a newer Clarion on the dash for bluetooth capability and better FM reception. I currently use a Bluetooth device hooked up through the Aux.

Greg

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » June 17th, 2020, 10:34 am

Interesting! Yes, you could use a home-based A/V surround setup. I've seen this done! I assume your boat has a generator, but you will want the system to work when the genny is not running. What you will need is an inverter and maybe a separate dedicated battery to power the A/V system. The battery will be charged by the normal 12VDC charging system. Most home audio systems today don't need tons of current, as the amplifier circuits have become more efficient over time. Take some time to decide what you want (number of speakers, inputs, bluetooth, wireless, etc.) and find a system that meets your needs. Try to minimize the number of components for ease of use and maintenance. Also be careful with location, as home based components are not designed for wet location use. Once you get your ideas together, call someone knowledgeable and discuss equipment options - like how many channels the amp might need, switching, etc. I would suggest a discussion with the folks at Parts Express - they kind of specialize in unusual or professional solutions and their folks are very good.

https://www.parts-express.com

Good luck!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Topic author United States of America
650Guy
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 Motor Yatch
370 Cummins

Postby 650Guy » June 17th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Oh man... that just dawned on me... DUH!!!! Underway the home system will not work... man, sometimes I miss the most obvious of things!

I do have a gen, and 99.9% of the time that I'm underway, I run it. the Denon AVR-S710W system I'm thinking of using has zone control, streaming ability and Spotify built right in. an APP that uses the WIFI system to control the unit, so AGAIN, if I have AC power my router is on, and can control it from anywhere on the boat. its a pretty sweet box! but no AC... its just dead weight on the boat! LOL

So plan B.

What if I leave the existing equipment installed, add the home system, simply splice into the speaker lines and in the event I do not have gen running, I could still use the standard system....

OR....

I could just be like a normal person and get a new radio that works on DC....

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » June 18th, 2020, 11:42 am

650Guy wrote:Source of the post Oh man... that just dawned on me... DUH!!!! Underway the home system will not work... man, sometimes I miss the most obvious of things!

I could just be like a normal person and get a new radio that works on DC....

Don't discount the idea of the inverter - less than $100 for a 1000W inverter and you can run the system any time off the 12 VDC. You could put a small 12 V cube battery inline nearby as a reservoir (similar to using a capacitor, but less hassle) to stabilize the 12 VDC stereo power to the inverter. The Denon AVR-S710W is a 75W x 7 system with a maximum 400 watt input load. I doubt if you would ever run that system wide open for very long! Nominal load would likely be less than 100 watts.

KRIËGER 1100 Watt 12V Power Inverter Dual 110V AC Outlets, Installation Kit Included, Automotive Back Up Power Supply For Blenders, Vacuums, Power Tools MET Approved According to UL - $85 from Amazon.

Connecting speakers to two different sources often causes problems; amplifiers are not designed for back-feed and impedance could be a problem.
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 18th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Piece of cake. Take a look at the Fusion line up. I have an older one but it still can do 3 zones. Single unit in the slot with a controller up on the fly. Controls volumes independently of zone or all together. They stream, do airplay, sirius, you name it. Really versatile and made for the marine environment.

I chose their blackbox unit as the main can be hidden anywhere, just a small remote that controls everything. Lots of options. https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”