Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Older Raymarine system -stay or go?

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Dark Horse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "Dragonfly"
2001 Carver 350 Mariner
Twin 350 MAG MPI

Older Raymarine system -stay or go?

Postby Dark Horse » June 24th, 2020, 7:02 pm

My 2001 Carver 350 Mariner ca.e with the Raymarine setup - LS70, auto pilot, depth, radar.
The LS70 is toast.
The boat also came with a new Sinrad NSS12 but no radar dome for it.
Is it worth it to fix the older Raymarine system?
Or just go with the Simrad and forget about radar.
I do most of my boating within a near radius of the shore and dont really venture too far out into the gulf.
I hate to get rid of the radar but it sure seems like a much older system.
I may just sell the dome and keep the rest in the dash for looks for now.
" The trouble with trouble is it usually starts out as fun!"

2001 350 Mariner w/ 350 Mercruisers
Home Port - Hudson, FL

United States of America
Marcq
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: !989 Carver Santego 30

Re: Older Raymarine system -stay or go?

Postby Marcq » June 25th, 2020, 10:39 pm

In your case I say it's a go, and I'm doing the same, I'm using a tablet, there are so many apps you can get, could actually use my iphone for what I do

Marc..

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 29th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Correct me if I wrong but isn't that part of the pathfinder series? You may be able to integrate your older Raymarine hardware (depth finder, autopilot, etc) via NEMA 0183 to your Simrad. That wouldn't work for the radar though however. A new simrad 4g broadband radar unit is between $2K and $3K. If you still have the Raymarine radar unit, You could also replace the L70 and update it with a Raymarine E series Classic MFD. They don't make those new anymore, but you should be able to find it on E-bay.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
dskasner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506

Postby dskasner » August 10th, 2020, 8:46 am

I'd like to chime in here. If your boat is at the point where your electronics are outdated, I.E. closer in age to what the wright brothers used in technology to successfully become the first man powered flight winners then keep the units running. As far as upgrading, repairing or retrofitting new components to older units. Well, I guess that would be like putting a new engine in the Fred Flinstone Mobile. Can you, Yes. Should you NO. Why not. "Look at all the money I could save by keeping the older stuff running". Just throw new parts at it. If you look at it from the money standpoint, buying parts on ebay weather new or used keeps your electronics performing just like the Flinstone Mobile. New units take advantage of modern upgrades in technology, power consumption and presentation. There just is no comparison. Staying with the money saving thought it ends up not being cost effective to keep older electronics running because you have to use today money rather than yesterdays. The price of new is less and the quality is better. Hard to argue the last point. When I purchased my 2001 Carver 506 it came with the original electronic package. LCD screens were sunburned most did not function very well. For 15K, I was able to purchase all new, with 4G color radar, 3D transducer, New VHF, and Autopilot. I did the install myself so there was a saving of I'm guessing around 10K for the installation. But still, a technician install of equipment at around 25K total, is still a good bargain for the hugh level of safety your bringing to the boating experience. Here's the before and after pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”