Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solar panels

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Re: Solar panels

Postby darrenlife » July 17th, 2020, 6:46 am

Tireless wrote:Source of the post
darrenlife wrote:Source of the post I’m just getting myself familiar with this technology so forgive my questions if not applicable but noticed you are hoping to get 35A through a 30A controller, is this possible? Won’t the controller limit charging output/capacity to 30A?

Good luck with the installation! Chris was very helpful and was very patient to answer all of my questions.

I have he same charge controller and love the Bluetooth capability and not having to wire a separate remote, lots of data and trending available.

It was a clear, sunny day during my install and it reached about 298W input and around 22A output which seemed reasonable. I’m hoping this will give me enough to balance the draw of 18 year old fridge which runs constantly ( next project)

I haven’t measure the input current at the batteries yet but will post when I do

Good point, still trying to get my head around all of the techno stuff myself. I was told that is what the panels will produce, but I expect that the 30 Amp controller will maintain at the appropriate level. It is the Victron SmartSolar 100/30 MPPT Solar charge controller. The panels are 4 X 110W Sunpower E-Flex.

I was advised to put a 30 amp breaker between the panels, on the positive lead and the controller and they supply a 40 amp fuse to install before the battery. I am also going to put in an on/off switch beside the battery.

I am installing the controller in a cabinet in my aft deck, which is about 15' from the panels and then I am going to run 8 gauge wire to the switch, fuse and battery. I don't think I will loose anything. Chris is coming to my boat this evening to deliver the equipment and I will be going over the install with him as well. Fingers crossed.

If the set up does not give me what I am hoping for, then I will add two more panels and a second controller.

Greg

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 19th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Just installed the controller and MT50. Panels are next but don’t have the magnets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate

Postby darrenlife » July 19th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Nice!

I’m sitting at the bottom of the Bobcaygeon lock in 40mph winds and magnets are holding strong

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 22nd, 2020, 8:44 pm

Ordered my magnets today. Now, looking at an inverter. Anyone hard wire one to their vessel?

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate

Postby darrenlife » July 23rd, 2020, 6:30 am

Yes, installed a Magnum 2800 pure sine wave inverter/charger. Pretty straight forward, just ensure you follow the wire gauge charts

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » July 23rd, 2020, 2:00 pm

Got my panels and controller installed last weekend. Everything is working great. Ended up installing the controller in a small cabinet in my salon so I could keep the 8 gauge wires from the controller to the battery at 10 '.

I was able to fasten the panels to the flybridge hardtop with 1" elevator bolts, secured with 3M 4200. Solid as a rock.

Going to install a small pure sine wave inverter this weekend near my stateroom for my CPAP machine. Getting old sucks. I am tired of using the alligator clips on the battery and an extension cord every time I went to bed.

Wish they would hurry up with the wireless panels, lol.

I will put it to the test at the end of the month during our trip to the North Channel, but so far seems to be working great.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » August 20th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Well, having returned from our 2 week trip to the North Channel, spending 8 nights on the hook, with 6 nights out in a row in two locations, all I can say is that solar panels are awesome. With minimal use of the Genny for coffee and dinner prep, the solar was able to sustain our needs while on anchor. Never once did the refrigerator shut down or did my CPAP machine shut down. In the morning when I woke up the battery level on my 4D house battery was reading on average 12.1 volts. The cool thing is that the sun was shinning and the solar panels were charging my battery before I wolk up.

Bottom line, solar was a great investment for us and I was never concerned about running out of juice while on the hook.

Greg

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 21st, 2020, 6:51 am

If I knew elevator bolts existed I would not have made my own. Only recommendation I can give is to insert a spacer so as to lift the panel slightly off the roof, they Are more efficient if they "breath" as in not getting too hot. After 1 full season i took them off and noticed a hint of osmosis due to the panels being against the roof. Spacers on the bolts and a few plastic strips under the panel seems to work well. I say seems because I never inspected after the modification.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 21st, 2020, 8:01 am

darrenlife wrote:Source of the post I just installed (3) Sunpower panels that I purchased at Toronto Boat show. It was a package with a Victron MPPT 30A controller. I used magnets to attach to the canvas.

do you mind posting what magnets your using?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » August 21st, 2020, 9:07 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Only recommendation I can give is to insert a spacer so as to lift the panel slightly off the roof, they Are more efficient if they "breath" as in not getting too hot.

Sound advice Midnightsun. The bolts themselves have a space from the base up, about 1/2". I also placed a washer under the panel on top of the elevated part of the bolt. Mine are elevated around the perimeter for sure, however may be touching in the middle. My plan is to put a piece of corrugated plastic sheet in the centre of each board at the end of the season to lift it up.

Thanks for the tip.

Greg

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”