Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solar panels

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Solar panels

Postby pepmyster » July 12th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Just ordered our mppt controller. Epever Tracer BN series. Now , just gotta pull the plug on our panels. Going with a 300 watt system. Our problem is choice. Either 3 knock off panel of 110 watts each made with Sunpower cells,225$ tax in each, 3 Sunpower panels of 110 watts each ,249$ each plus tax, or, 1 Tesup panel 260 watts, $470. Anyone hear of Tesup? They are here in Canada. Any input would be great.
Thanks, Andrew

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Re: Solar panels

Postby darrenlife » July 13th, 2020, 8:07 am

I just installed (3) Sunpower panels that I purchased at Toronto Boat show. It was a package with a Victron MPPT 30A controller. I used magnets to attach to the canvas. Really happy with the Victron controller and its Bluetooth capability, was able to place controller under the helm and is smartphone app to monitor the data.

I’m not familiar with the Tesup panels but wanted to reassure you that the Sunpower panels seem good quality.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 13th, 2020, 8:23 am

I'm noticing that most of the good knock offs are made using Sunpower cells. Leaning that way, but would love 1 panel instead of 3, ease of installation for sure. Do you have pictures of your install? Thanks for the reply.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate

Postby darrenlife » July 13th, 2020, 6:21 pm

I won’t be at the boat until Friday, I’ll pm you some pics, can’t seem to post pics to this site any longer

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 13th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I haven't noticed problems posting pics to this site but if you do can u pm pics to me also?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » July 14th, 2020, 8:34 pm

I am taking delivery of 4, 110 watt Sunpower panels and the Victron 30 amp controller on Thursday. Sounds like the same supplier as Darrenlife. I am going to install them on my flybridge hardtop using elevator bolts and 3m 4200. My friends installed them like this last year and it is a great option so I don’t need to drill holes in my hardtop. Should give me 35 amps of charging power for my trip to the North Channel in August.

I purchased them from Marine Solar Innovations in my area.

Greg

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 15th, 2020, 6:11 am

I was in talks with them at the Toronto show also. I like the products they are selling, but was not sure what sizing I needed. I'm going with the Sunpower 170 panel x 2 ,and, purchased the Epever Tracer BN 30 amp controller. Getting the panels from Solacity in Kemptville, ordered the controller from the states.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate

Postby darrenlife » July 15th, 2020, 7:58 am

Tireless wrote:Source of the post I am taking delivery of 4, 110 watt Sunpower panels and the Victron 30 amp controller on Thursday. Sounds like the same supplier as Darrenlife. I am going to install them on my flybridge hardtop using elevator bolts and 3m 4200. My friends installed them like this last year and it is a great option so I don’t need to drill holes in my hardtop. Should give me 35 amps of charging power for my trip to the North Channel in August.

I purchased them from Marine Solar Innovations in my area.

Greg

Tireless,

Yes, that is who I purchased from: Marine Solar Innovations.

I turned off my shore power during the install to allow my fridge to draw down the batteries so that I could test the solar charging output and was able to get 22amps which I’m quite happy with and should keep me topped up king my fridge draws around 8 amps.

I’m just getting myself familiar with this technology so forgive my questions if not applicable but noticed you are hoping to get 35A through a 30A controller, is this possible? Won’t the controller limit charging output/capacity to 30A?

I wired the panels to my main DC bus under the helm which was much easier than running the cables direct to my batteries and should minimize voltage drop with the shorter 10Ga solar wire. I also installed 40A breakers on either side of the controller. Hope this helps and appreciate feedback

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » July 15th, 2020, 8:24 pm

I too will be connecting to the battery from a main pos and neg that I found under the rear seat of my bridge. This is a direct connection with the house bank. A 30 amp controller will top out at 30 , it will limit the amp and wattage through it self. Talking with Solacity, the controller will limit all. Darren, since you went through the bus bar, are you still getting a good charge?

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » July 16th, 2020, 10:08 am

darrenlife wrote:Source of the post I’m just getting myself familiar with this technology so forgive my questions if not applicable but noticed you are hoping to get 35A through a 30A controller, is this possible? Won’t the controller limit charging output/capacity to 30A?

Good point, still trying to get my head around all of the techno stuff myself. I was told that is what the panels will produce, but I expect that the 30 Amp controller will maintain at the appropriate level. It is the Victron SmartSolar 100/30 MPPT Solar charge controller. The panels are 4 X 110W Sunpower E-Flex.

I was advised to put a 30 amp breaker between the panels, on the positive lead and the controller and they supply a 40 amp fuse to install before the battery. I am also going to put in an on/off switch beside the battery.

I am installing the controller in a cabinet in my aft deck, which is about 15' from the panels and then I am going to run 8 gauge wire to the switch, fuse and battery. I don't think I will loose anything. Chris is coming to my boat this evening to deliver the equipment and I will be going over the install with him as well. Fingers crossed.

If the set up does not give me what I am hoping for, then I will add two more panels and a second controller.

Greg

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”