Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Yacht Devices J1708 Engine Gateway, connects older Engines to NEMA 2000

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
jspin101
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 41 CMY w/ 2006 Volvo D6 370I-B's

Yacht Devices J1708 Engine Gateway, connects older Engines to NEMA 2000

Postby jspin101 » November 6th, 2020, 8:33 am

Hi All,
Just trying to plan some winter projects.
Does anyone have any knowledge about these devices?
I have Volvo D6 Diesel's with the EVC but it's an older version that doesn't interface to the EVC displays.
Hoping something like this will work as I'd like to check my turbo's, fuel consumption, fault codes from my engines. etc... on my Garmin 7212's or other MFD's.
Thanks,

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Yacht Devices J1708 Engine Gateway, connects older Engines to NEMA 2000

Postby Helmsman » April 6th, 2021, 1:27 pm

jspin101 wrote:Source of the post Hi All,
Just trying to plan some winter projects.
Does anyone have any knowledge about these devices?
I have Volvo D6 Diesel's with the EVC but it's an older version that doesn't interface to the EVC displays.
Hoping something like this will work as I'd like to check my turbo's, fuel consumption, fault codes from my engines. etc... on my Garmin 7212's or other MFD's.
Thanks,

Try the units at Fox Marine. I was able to get some info to display on my chart plotter and the Bluetooth App pulls just about every bit of info that you can get from the engines.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Yacht Devices J1708 Engine Gateway, connects older Engines to NEMA 2000

Postby Tireless » April 6th, 2021, 7:56 pm

I contacted Yacht devices directly via email. I advised them what engines I had, same as yours, what equipment I had in my boat and what I wanted to achieve.

A tech communicated with me and told me what devices I required and how to connect it with my particular set up. They are very helpful.

My situation is different than yours, as I have the EVC displays already. I wanted to be able to access the information on my iPhone/iPad in addition to my MFD, as then LED on one of my EVC displays is starting to fail.

I provided him with my engine serial numbers and he was able to tell me what I actually had and what I needed for my set up to achieve the desired outcome. If you don’t have anything bringing your data from the engines to your dashboard, then you will more than likely require a device for each engine.

I would also look at the Volvo Penta Easy Connect set up, but it is a bit more money than the Yacht Devices.

Greg

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”