Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

'range' on my circuit panel, what is that?

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

'range' on my circuit panel, what is that?

Postby Phrancus » March 13th, 2021, 8:41 am

On my AC circuit panel I have various switches such as 'main' and 'receptacles' and i understand that. But what connects to 'range' ?

In the wiring diagram it's there but no clue to what or where it connects to.

Any tips welcome.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 'range' on my circuit panel, what is that?

Postby Midnightsun » March 13th, 2021, 9:33 am

Range refers to a cooktop or oven depending on what you have on the boat.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » March 13th, 2021, 11:10 am

Ah, thank you.

The cooktop was probably replaced by the gas version fitted now (with a gas bun on the swim platform). The sockets behind the fridge have their own switch on the panel so I'll probably be finding another one behind or in the seat somewhere.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 13th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Could have been labeled and as an option too since you have gas. I have a few that the option for the breaker was never installed by carver.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » March 14th, 2021, 4:21 am

The AC and two spares are not used indeed.
Also 'Polarity' and 'Safe' are blind but that may be a VS - Europe difference. The 220V sticker is put over the 110.

Not pretty but on the other hand also old-skool and that fits the boat.

I'll have to overhaul (that in any case) or replace the whole panel as the meters do not work any more and I haven't found ones that fit in the same layout.

IMG_20210313_124055.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 14th, 2021, 10:15 am

Looks like that panel has been replaced once already, hence the holes and slight border lines from the original panel replaced. Should be easy enough to find a new panel. Be careful. I hate messing with wiring. It's shocking to me! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » March 14th, 2021, 11:05 am

This panel is the least destroyed.... I'd like a salvage original just for the looks. Even from a modern Carver. The left side is a real mess and I can make a new board to mount all panels as they are (but then straight, remove the damages, clean it up) or replace the whole thing with a modern panel.
Except, I don't want a very modern panel either. I like the old-school tumble switches. Every new one looks like anything from the China catalog or very expensive and still not fitting the age of the boat.

Best would be a salvaged panel for the left as well.

i'm not afraid of the wiring, in fact, I'll rip all out and make it all new, waterproof and correctly coded. That's quicker, better and more fun than trying to clean up other people's sloppy work.

Most of the wiring in the boat is ok though, just the additions are not done properly and the panel connections are below any standard. So I will not take out all wiring looms, that would be overkill.

Canada
denders
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby denders » March 14th, 2021, 4:16 pm

ca-en.alliedelec.com has shurite meters available - I replaced the ones on our old carver and will be ordering a couple for our new one. Not sure about the 220V requirement , I was looking for 150V as a direct replacement

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » March 15th, 2021, 4:48 am

found them, thanks. I can use the size mentioned to find the fitting ones for our voltage. I don't need exact super quality meters, it's more for decoration than for function. That I have shore power or not is pretty obvious. Amperage is a little more relevant but I will put two digital meters on the other side of the panel (ac and dc versions with voltage, amperage, battery status) behind the black screen.

Just need to figure something for the DC breaker/switch panel that fits the looks and purpose. Have no source for original panels but then again, they will not be in a pretty shape anyway I suppose.

Custom is pretty but costly too. A matter of balancing form and function as always.

By the way, when motoring we carry navigation lights (red/green and white stern plus white on top) and when anchoring only the one on top. Do I understand correctly that in the US you do not carry the white on top when motoring?
Just wondering when I looked at the wiring and why they did not change this in the past when it came accross the big pond. The lamps have been changed for LED's but the combination for motoring in dusk/dark is wrong now.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 15th, 2021, 5:01 am

White on top is required in North America. https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ ... ight-Rules
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”