Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Rear view camera

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Rear view camera

Postby mjk1040 » April 9th, 2016, 9:16 am

I bought the car one from Wal-Mart for $100.00, mounted it on the rear railing of our 1998 355 and tapped the rear nav light for power, we can see the entire rear of the boat, Starboard to Port. Would like a larger screen though. It helps backing into the slip, you see if another boat is behind you too. I saw some where, a guy had side view mirrors so he could see backing into the slip. I'm looking for something like this that I can snap onto the port side when backing into the slip to give me a better idea on my position and angle sometimes. Yes of course the true boating buddies all had their commits, but as time went on they were thinking of installing one too.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » April 9th, 2016, 12:19 pm

You can buy additional screens on ebay if you want bigger - or if you have a name brand plotter it should have a video in.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Reardon
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 404 2000

Postby Reardon » April 10th, 2016, 8:07 pm

The GoPro is a great idea, except can you power it off and on from the I pad you are streaming it to and do you need a network? My GoPro is one of the first and I am pretty sure it does not have that capability, but I am not so familiar with the newer gopros.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » April 11th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Yes, I believe the Gopro silver and up have the WIFI connectivity. But what a pain to have to set it up every time and take it down again. Also, with the WIFI turned on, the battery life is very short. I have one on my drone and also have one that the kids use when jumping off my hardtop. We watch them in the iPad as they take the plunge.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”