Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Autopilot - DIY?

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 396 Motor Yacht

Autopilot - DIY?

Postby RussL » May 18th, 2021, 11:57 am

I am interested in getting an autopilot system that will work with my Simrad Evo3 chart plotter for my 2000 396. I am finding it difficult to find detailed information related to installation. Is that because this is something you should not try and do yourself? I've pretty technically capable... That said I am not very knowledgeable on hydraulics, and I am having difficulty finding detailed information about how to install a net new autopilot, or even details about what brand/model steering system is even in my boat for that matter.... Can anyone point me to some reference materials? Tell me I am crazy and should suck up paying the $5k in labor, or otherwise help :-D

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Autopilot - DIY?

Postby km1125 » May 18th, 2021, 3:10 pm

If you take your time then I think it can easily be a DIY job. If you need it done by some deadline and/or don't have the time to figure out the details then it's probably worth the $5K to make all that work someone else's problem.

I'm sure someone here knows what kind of hydraulic system was used on those boats. The other challenge you'll have is finding a really good location for the heading sensor. It's a magnetic sensor and needs not to be disturbed by other things on the boat.

RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RussL » May 18th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Thanks I think I can figure all that stuff out. I have been watching install videos and reading today. Most of it looks fairly straight forward. I think the biggest challenge is going to be getting the NMEA 2K cable from the stern to the flybridge helm. Can that type of cable be run through the bilge to the engine room? It is either that, or along side the exhaust, or pull down the headlines and hope there is a pathway. I am not too sure how they are attached so I don't know how hard they would be to get down and then back in place. None of my options will be easy.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 18th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Not sure exactly on that model, but I'm sure there's a way to get from the stern to the flybridge. There must be other electrical in the stern that routes to the engine room... even electrical for lights or tanks (water? waste?) and you could probably use the same pathway. Doubt you'd have to use the headliner. I'm sure someone on here has run a wire or two on a similar boat that would have suggestions.

RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RussL » May 18th, 2021, 4:52 pm

I am open to any suggestions. it is a 2000 396. I have crawled around a fair amount and there are not many options that I have found. Along each side there is a chase to the engine room but it is mostly full of exhaust pipes engines and genset.
It is difficult to access and from what I can tell there is a bulkhead between the rear birth and the engine room. I would have to pull cabinets to get to it though. Here are the paths of the water and exhaust paths.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 18th, 2021, 9:36 pm

Funny that they label everything in that plumbing diagram except the water heater. Is that it in the port side just behind the engine room? (just curious)

Looks like there's a plumbing run down the port side from the stern all the way to the engine room. Have you looked to see if that's a possible path to follow?

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » May 19th, 2021, 10:45 am

What are you wanting to locate in the stern? If its the hydraulic pump you should be able to mount it inside the flybridge console and tap into the helm steering pump.

..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

RussL
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RussL » May 19th, 2021, 10:55 am

I need to get the rudder feedback sensor connected with a NMEA 2000 cable. I will mount the pump and everything else in the flybridge. I have looked for paths forward extensively because I just put in my thrusters, and I ended up putting everything under the bed in the aft cabin because it was so difficult. Here are the possible paths I see...

The cabinet space to the right of the bed in this is very congested. I would have to pull them I think..... If I can get them out without destroying them.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 19th, 2021, 11:24 am

I'll bet there's more access than you realize.

A few years ago I was helping a friend on his Silverton. He had **already** cut an "access hole" in one of his bulkheads to get to some bolts to tighten down his outside railings that were loose. Looking around a bit, I found some screws that took off a fairly large panel (the one he cut a hole in the middle of) but that really didn't provide the access we needed. Found another area where we could remove a panel and with a LONG extension on a socket we could get to the bolts in question and were actually able to take it off so he could put some sealant around the base of the railing before we tightened it down again. He had struggled with the issue for days before he resorted to cutting the hole, but thought that was the only way in.

If you're just running the one wire you can probably use something like an old fishing rod (flexible fiberglass shaft) or some of those fiberglass fish sticks to chase part of the path that has bad access. I've even used a few coathangers tied (twisted) end-to-end to make a longer 'fishtape' that was flexible but also could be bent to go around corners or obstructions.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 19th, 2021, 11:51 am

On the aft bulkhead area of your engine room, is there any what looks like around 2" diam plastic tubing that leads aft, check behind the insulation lower near the stringers etc.and along the hull sides.

I know in our boat there were these chases all over.......different model but never the less worth a look.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”