Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Navigation equipment supplier recommendations

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
V12diablo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356 Aft Cabin

Navigation equipment supplier recommendations

Postby V12diablo » November 13th, 2021, 8:47 pm

After our first season with our 356, I would like to update all my navigation equipment/electronics. I have all the old ray marine equipment that is inoperable or has burnt screens. I also want to add a autopilot since the boat doesn’t currently have one. I am looking for a supplier that will explain what equipment I need and works well with each other. Not just sell me stuff I may not need for my type of boating. Thanks, in advance.

Jason

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Re: Navigation equipment supplier recommendations

Postby Rocketman » November 15th, 2021, 7:09 am

My 44 Sojourn had Garmin electronics onboard. I wanted to upgrade the chartplotter and Garmin (on the phone) was great at helping me understand what all I needed to be able to interface with the existing backup camera, radar, GPS antennas.
They were great at helping me get part numbers and everything to make t fit perfect and interface with my Volvo engines. I would give them a call. I went with the 1243xsv since it fit right in place of the old unit.
Bottom line, they were great at helping me understand all the piece parts I needed.
Give them a call and they will walk you thru everything you will need. Then you can price online at other places as well.

I ended up purchasing from several places to get the best prices for everything I needed.

Topic author United States of America
V12diablo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356 Aft Cabin

Postby V12diablo » November 20th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Did you talk with Garmin directly. I planned on going with garmin, I just want to make sure I get the correct gear that will work with my boat and with what I plan on doing.

Jason

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » November 20th, 2021, 11:44 pm

Sounds like you are looking at two issues. The first is finding a supplier. I replaced all the old Raymarine equipment on my 2006 Carver 33 SS with a little help from a mechanic (hydraulics for AP) and advice from the folks here. I replaced with new Raymarine, and did the plan for it first. On my new boat I am installing everything myself. I am going with Furuno, due to their support and the fact they don’t sunset their equipment like Ray and Garmin does. So, my vote is Furuno.

I went through all of the NMEA workshops in September to learn all of the rules regarding electronics installations. If you are looking for an installer, look for a NMEA installer. NMEA.org.

If you would like to discuss what you want to actually put on the boat, lay it out here and there will be good advice received here.

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » November 21st, 2021, 7:31 am

I called Garmin direct. I did look on their website first to get an idea of the chartplotter that I wanted from a size point of view. They the website will list all the equipment that is compatible with that chartplotter.
I really wanted the 16" unit but in the end it would not fit in the dash. Had to go with the 12". I absolutely love it.
The 1243xsv (xsv version) comes with all the US detailed charts installed.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”