Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 3227 and Garmin Striker 9SV

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
mobinakhtar
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 Viking Princess 65
1988 Carver 3207 Convertible
1971 Hatteras 38 Convertible
2005 Boston Whaler 15 Montauk

Carver 3227 and Garmin Striker 9SV

Postby mobinakhtar » December 13th, 2021, 10:21 pm

hello fellas. I am trying to install a brand new GPS unit to my 3227. I thought striker vivid 9sv was a great deal for about $500 on black Friday. I am not a fisherman. Just need to see where I'm going and the depth since I am mostly in Gulf ICW by freeport, TX, and the channels are very shallow at the edges.

My dilemma is that I have two helms. I am sure I can purchase an extra power/data cable and additional mount for the 9SV online. Is there a correct way of installing these cables or do I just daisy chain the cables and move the unit up/down from flybridge to interior helm depending on where I am driving from?

Second question. There appears to be a "Standard communications corporation - DS30 depth sounder" installed and working in the lower helm. On the upper helm, I have a mount for a legacy hummingbird fishfinder without the unit - just the mount. Can I use the transducer already installed with my Garmin - Any knowledgable GPS fellas :) feel free to answer. I cannot seem to locate the actual transducer yet but I have only had the boat for a week or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carver 3227 and Garmin Striker 9SV

Postby km1125 » December 14th, 2021, 8:40 am

You can't easily "daisy chain" the cables when there's a signal line in the mix. It is doable, but it gets complicated because it creates reflections in the cabling that can be confused with reflections underwater (which is how the sonar/depthfinder works). At best you could get an extension cable, and run that from the lower station to the bridge. When the unit would be in the lower station, you just plug right into the cable going to the transducer. When moving to the bridge, you plug the extension into the cable going to the transducer, then plug the unit into the extension on the bridge. Power is not an issue, as you could put a power connection at both locations.

Hard to say on the old transducer, but I'd bet not. You'd need to know the specs on that transducer and those of the unit. You'd need to know the frequency that the transducer is tuned to, and the power it can handle. Most newer units use multiple frequencies and most old transducers are only capable of one.

I had a boat with dual stations and rarely ever used the lower station. I still had a second radio there and installed a second gps/plotter in case I ever needed to navigate from there, but the better units were up on the bridge, where I spent most of my time.

Topic author United States of America
mobinakhtar
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 Viking Princess 65
1988 Carver 3207 Convertible
1971 Hatteras 38 Convertible
2005 Boston Whaler 15 Montauk

Re: Carver 3227 and Garmin Striker 9SV

Postby mobinakhtar » December 14th, 2021, 5:53 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post You can't easily "daisy chain" the cables when there's a signal line in the mix.

I am not using two units - Just moving the same unit up or down with me. The "other" cable will not be attached to anything.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”