Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel Gauge

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396

Fuel Gauge

Postby bobfino » March 9th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Ok, can you tell I am new to my Carver, here another question before I dig in. The starboard fuel gauge is not working. Can you point me in the right direction for where the sending unit might be. Thanks again

Lake Erie Monster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Fuel Gauge

Postby Lake Erie Monster » March 9th, 2014, 1:39 pm

welcome to owning a boat.... get used to fuel gauges and speedometers working when they feel like it. the sending unit should be in the tank and possibly part of the fuel pump and one may require replacing the other on a newer boat like yours, you may also luck out with a bad connection at the gauge itself so start with the simplest thing first, i lucked out like that once.
Adam and Shannon
28' Mariner twin 302's

"My other vessel is a Klingon Bird of Prey"

bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby bobfino » March 9th, 2014, 2:12 pm

I know that feeling, my last boat had Faria gauges and they actually called it the "Faria knock" on the Regal Forum because you would have to tap on them every once in a while to get them to work.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » March 10th, 2014, 6:15 am

The fuel sender will be on top of the tank about in the middle. It is not connected to a fuel pump...it is a standalone sender. Check the wiring by disconnecting it, have someone watch the gauge and touch the two ends together...if the gauge moves, the sender is bad. I believe they were using WEMA brand senders by that time. and you can get them online directly from WEMA
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby bobfino » March 10th, 2014, 9:15 am

Thank you for the info, project for the weekend.

bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby bobfino » April 5th, 2014, 8:32 am

Finally looking into getting the fuel gauge to work. I attached a picture to be sure what I am looking at is actually the sending unit. There is one wire going into the tank and another smaller wire. Are these the two wires that need to be connected to check the gauge? Also since yesterday the gauge is now reading full, which it should not be unless I am only drawing from one tank. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » April 5th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I have no idea what that red wire is for, and why it connects to such a small wire. But I do not believe that is part of the fuel level indication.

As for your fuel level sender, I've not seen one like that. Usually, one wire goes to a terminal on one of the screws as a ground, and the other goes to a stud in the middle.

If this were mine, I'd first make sure that assembly you've taken a picture of is the fuel level sender and not for an in-tank fuel pump. If it is a sender, I'd remover the screws and pull it out, and have somebody watch the gage as you move the float through it's motion.

Before you take it apart, make a mark on the flangs and on the tank to make it easier for re-install.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”