Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Navigation compatible with SIMRAD AP20

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Jad99125
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver Mariner 350

Navigation compatible with SIMRAD AP20

Postby Jad99125 » October 4th, 2022, 2:44 pm

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2000 Mariner 350. It does not have a gps or navigation but it does have a SIMRAD Robertson AP20 that seems to work. What gps/navigation can I get that would be compatible with it?

Thank you very much,
Jeff

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Navigation compatible with SIMRAD AP20

Postby bud37 » October 4th, 2022, 5:26 pm

Welcome to the forum........I guess it depends on your budget , these systems can really get up there when you upgrade. The sky is the limit, hopefully someone can offer some help with what if anything is compatible.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » October 4th, 2022, 8:53 pm

Looks like a gps with nmea 0183 will work assuming its already got all the otherhere pieces installed. . Heres the manual for the ap20.page 37 . shows some tech specs. Not sure if you have the manual . https://www.manua.ls/simrad/ap20/manual?p=1.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Sgodfrey
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 450 Voyager

Postby Sgodfrey » October 5th, 2022, 11:17 am

Hello -

I had a similar decision to make on a Caver Voyager 450 with the same simrad system. You will need a pig tail from the JX simrad computer and GPS that supports the older 0183. The Simrad line will allow you to control the autopilot from the GPS unit (but you will need to carefully check that out)

Before you start this project you might ask if you really need the integration - you might find that the AP20 head unit works just fine for you and integration with the new GPS won't add much value to your boating experience.

In my case, my AP20 head unit failed - so I ended up with a new NAC-3 and used the Simard GPS to control the autopilot - I didn't replace the RPU160 pump but that recently started having issues on a beginning of a 1,000 mile trip down the east coast. Replacing brushes didn't seem to help so I am now just going to replace my 20 year old pump with a new Simard pump.

We have never bothered trying to follow a GPS track with the auto - we just set a heading and make small adjustment and would like have been happy with the AP20 control (if it hadn't failed!)

Good luck

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”