Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

TracVision C3 help

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizon engines

Re: TracVision C3 help

Postby Mikwallace » January 13th, 2023, 12:32 am

g36 wrote:Source of the post If you havent already located it. The over the air antenna that was oem on the 405 is located stbd side storage and fwd on the bridge in front of the bench seat behind the stbd sliding access door on the front wall

I found it today! There’s a red light on the bottom of it. Does the red light indicate it’s power boosted?? And what powers the red light on the bottom of the antenna? When I scan the channels the tv doesn’t pick up any over the air stations but I’m still under a metal roof and I’m probably too far away from any tv stations to receive them. We plan on going out Saturday for a night on the hook, so I might go south and then channel scan to see if it works.

This must be it:

1DEF54F0-688C-4313-86C9-8EAD4066FC52.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’
1998 Chaparral 2330 7.4 L Mercruiser
2003 Chaparral 260 Ssi 8.1 L VolvoPenta DuoProp
1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizons
:captain2:
:usa:

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 13th, 2023, 9:24 am

Mikwallace wrote:Source of the post
... There’s a red light on the bottom of it. Does the red light indicate it’s power boosted?? ...

Yes.
And what powers the red light on the bottom of the antenna?

Probably this thing:
maxview.jpeg

To verify, just unplug it and see if the light on the antenna goes off too.

Mikwallace wrote:Source of the postWhen I scan the channels the tv doesn’t pick up any over the air stations but I’m still under a metal roof and I’m probably too far away from any tv stations to receive them.

What kind of TVs are you scanning?? If they're OEM TVs, they may not be capable of picking up the off-air digital signals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 13th, 2023, 10:21 am

I had one of those......find the power supply for it, for those usually a small black box.....on our model it was behind a cupboard secret panel above the fridge. The one we had seemed to work but never any good at all.....finally gave up after cleaning connections, testing circuit boards, cables etc and got a new antennae unit with new power supply . What a difference, lots of channels and clear.
My guess is they have a life like everything seems to, once past that no amount of intervention is fruitful. Good luck, you may be partially right about the shed roof over your slip though.

One question....do you have an A/B switch to control antenna signals in your entertainment centre ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » January 14th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Make sure the coax is still attache to it also. Yes the red light means the antenna booster is on.On my 405 the oem power booster was behind the TV in the salon. I also have a A/B selector that was mounted in the bottom left cubby below the tv. If there you may need to scan on both selections. So the black box shown isn't original but good chance it may be powering the antenna. I also can get nothing when boat is at the dock under the metal roof. I have sat dishes mounted at the dock when tied up and the sat dome while at anchor.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 14th, 2023, 3:46 pm

Never really had much luck with those TV antennas/boosters, a few snowy channels at best. That being said I went Satellite several years back and now I have elected to go Starlink RV internet and streaming.

Many have spent thousands on wifi boosters in search of internet at anchor or even while underway. Cell phone works OK however you will bust the bank rather quickly if you stream anything like Netflix. Last year I elected to go with a Starlink RV which honestly is the best way to go IMHO as you get unlimited internet and can be technically anywhere and still get a signal as long as you have a clear view of the sky. Not cheap in Canada as it cost me $200 a month with taxes and all however I have it connected for 5 months at best due to our boating season. Can be cancelled and restored as one pleases through the app an no cost. My satellite TV service was around $90 a month and was a pain to activate and turn off plus there was a $50 activation fee. Most everything has gone internet access so Starlink is a great additions all in one package. Really enjoyed it last summer and looking forward to using it this summer. May even uninstall my Intellian TV setup on the arch as it no longer gets used.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Mikwallace » January 24th, 2023, 11:32 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
... There’s a red light on the bottom of it. Does the red light indicate it’s power boosted?? ...

Yes.
And what powers the red light on the bottom of the antenna?

Probably this thing:
maxview.jpeg

To verify, just unplug it and see if the light on the antenna goes off too.

Mikwallace wrote:Source of the postWhen I scan the channels the tv doesn’t pick up any over the air stations but I’m still under a metal roof and I’m probably too far away from any tv stations to receive them.

What kind of TVs are you scanning?? If they're OEM TVs, they may not be capable of picking up the off-air digital signals.

You are correct! The white box with the red light is a booster and it does power the antenna. When I unplug the white box, the pilot light on the antenna extinguishes. I pulled the boat out of the slip today and anchored in the open. No TV stations over the air, but again , I might’ve too far from the transmitters. The Salon TV is a new Vizio, so there’s no issues with over-the-air scanning, just need to be in service area. Plus I figured out all the A/B switches, too.

Tried the KVH C3 satellite dish and it receives and locks on to the satellites. Problem is it’s DirecTV SD only. At least I know the system works.

Still weighing my options. I’ll probably leave as-is for this first full boating season and see how the cell/ROKU and Dish Anywhere works.

Thanks for all the input!!
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 25th, 2023, 10:48 am

Roughly, how many miles are you to a larger city with local broadcast stations?

You can try a couple things.

1) bring some type of portable antenna to the boat, like a pair of "rabbit ears" that someone might have lying around. Hook them directly to the tv and put them as high on the boat as you can get (might need an extension coax to do this). Point them in a couple different directions and scan the TV and see if it picks up anything.

2) Does one of the coax connections on the Maxview box go directly to the TV? If not, put a coax jumper on there from the Maxview "out" to the TV RF input and do a scan on the TV.

Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Mikwallace » January 27th, 2023, 11:53 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Roughly, how many miles are you to a larger city with local broadcast stations?

You can try a couple things.

1) bring some type of portable antenna to the boat, like a pair of "rabbit ears" that someone might have lying around. Hook them directly to the tv and put them as high on the boat as you can get (might need an extension coax to do this). Point them in a couple different directions and scan the TV and see if it picks up anything.

2) Does one of the coax connections on the Maxview box go directly to the TV? If not, put a coax jumper on there from the Maxview "out" to the TV RF input and do a scan on the TV.

That’s an idea, thanks. I’m probably 35 miles. Also found the two cables that connected to the MaxView had bad ends; they came off as they were poorly made. Next trip to boat I’ll replace the connectors and see if that helps.
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”