Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine room cameras

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Fishsail
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991, 420 aft cabin

Engine room cameras

Postby Fishsail » March 9th, 2023, 7:45 pm

Wondering what cameras people are using for their engine rooms. And what monitors are you using?

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Re: Engine room cameras

Postby RobGunn » March 10th, 2023, 8:21 am

I'm curious also. Love to hear any recommendations.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 10th, 2023, 9:19 am

I do not have any in the bilge but I could in 5 minutes! Pretty much any newer chart plotter will accept a camera input except wiring can be a pita and then you are limited to viewing on board via the plotter.

If you have wifi on board it becomes rather simple using something like Arlo cameras that last a good 4+ months before requiring a recharge via USB. This will allow you to see through your phone, computer or tablet at will no matter where you may be. Our Arlo setup acts as a visual for me when not on the boat any time I please. I arm them when we leave for the week so I get a recorded cloud event and an email warning me of an intrusion so it does serve other useful purposes also as opposed to a fixed wired camera in the bilge. I have 3 units, one in the cockpit which would go off if someone was to open the canvas to get on board, 1 just up the stairs to the first outdoor floor which give me an outdoor visual of the boat and a visual on the weather at the boat in real time and a last one in the salon pointed at the entrance which partially shows the interior of the boat. They are magnetically mounted therefore easy to move around as you please if desired however you must have wifi on board for these to operate. Regardless, everything seems to need wifi nowadays so maybe time to install if you do not have which opens up so many other doors for a variety of stuff.

I see they now offer LTE security cameras however no idea what that would cost for the sim card and connection. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/cameras
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 10th, 2023, 11:17 am

I've also considered it and if I do I'll use wifi but haven't really decided locations of the cams and what I would care to see while underway. I already have a network and cameras i monitor while the boats at the dock and temps of the boat when not there so the engine room would be simple addon. Also I don't know how much help it would be for me and my boating.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
Fishsail
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991, 420 aft cabin

Postby Fishsail » March 11th, 2023, 10:04 pm

Ya, I can get a Garmin for around $350. US not bad. I just wondering if anyone bought a set up from Amazon they liked?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 12th, 2023, 9:02 am

Fishsail wrote:Source of the post Ya, I can get a Garmin for around $350. US not bad. I just wondering if anyone bought a set up from Amazon they liked?

Is that for the camera itself?

If so, you need to track down the actual specs and see what other cameras meet the specs. A couple years ago some folks did just that for their Raymarine MFDs instead of just buying the Raymarine camera (which was also priced in the "several hundred dollar" range!). They found several alternatives ranging in prices all the way down to $50 and they were very pleased with the performance!!

United States of America
JimN
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '89 Carver Santego 38

Postby JimN » April 27th, 2023, 11:15 am

Look for cameras with IP rating of 64 or higher- IP 67 means it can be submerged to 3' and sprayed with water at fairly high pressure. As far as temperature ratings, look for 140°F or higher, but for reference, I have installed many cameras in direct sunlight and they lasted more than 10 years, without any protection from rain or snow.

Feeding cables in a Carver or most yachts isn't really that difficult, but it does require some special tools, like push rods (AKA 'Fish Sticks') and a fish tape. Harbor Freight has a set of sticks that are short and can be attached to reach farther. As an example, the Carver Santego 38 has vinyl covered plywood pieces covering access holes above the steps leading to the Salon- by removing the HVAC grill and the pieces at the sides and the long one facing the steps, it's possible to feed a fish tape or push sticks up from the inside of the cabinet in the corner- some models have the stereo or breaker panel, some have seats backed up to the cabinet with a shelf on top, but that area is used for access to the backside of the bulkhead of the engine compartment and it will have a cover on the hole that's screwed in place. Once this fish tape has been fed, attach a long cord to it and tie it off at both ends, so cables can be attached and pulled from one end to the other (depending on what's needed).

After the cable has been pulled up, use a flashlight to look forward, from the steps- the floor of the helm has a tube leading from the area under the seat to the area above the headliner- tape the cable to the push rod and feed the end to the tube and leave it in place so you can grab it from above. You could also use a cord to pull cables if it will be done again in the future.

If a cable has a plug on it (like NMEA 2000), be careful pulling it through the path at the corner near the HVAC grill (this is where you'll need to work in order to avoid damaging the cable and its end) and you'll be able to pass it to the area near the hole that allows full access above the headliner.

United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

Postby kgarguilo » April 27th, 2023, 2:07 pm

Fishsail wrote:Source of the post Ya, I can get a Garmin for around $350. US not bad. I just wondering if anyone bought a set up from Amazon they liked?

I recently purchased the Garmin GC100 Wi-Fi camera. Spend the extra money and get the wired version as the Wi-Fi on the camera is prone to freezing and resetting while backing in. I have tried different Wi-Fi channels with no success, The distance is under 20' away from the Garmin 8412.
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”