Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacement 12v breaker switches.

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Replacement 12v breaker switches.

Postby bud37 » April 18th, 2023, 7:38 pm

Funny the name escaped me till just now, this old age is relentless.... :-D ...Carling has some models that may work as well....there are different models for various back connection types.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2023, 8:35 pm

Close but no cigar Hans, you might be able to make it work though. If the setup inside is like mine, you'd have to modify something because the ones in the link have spade connector contacts rather than screws. Normally one would think it's an easy mod but in mine, it's an exact fit for each breaker, no room for error, and the buss bar bolts directly to the breaker so it has to line up precisely to make it all fit otherwise you'd have to figure out a work-around that.

If you punch in the part numbers I provided which are the exact OEM replacements, they indicate that they're out of stock but are 5 weeks out. Whether that's actually the case or not who knows.

Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse here. Hope you find something that will work. Let us know how you make out.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2023, 9:18 pm

Just took a closer look at your pic and it looks like you may have the spade connector terminals after all. If that's the case, you should be able to use the ones in Hans' link. You'll just have to swap the outer tightening collar with your existing one to match with the rest. Check and compare but you might have your solution.

Topic author United States of America
Hoplite808
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Postby Hoplite808 » April 18th, 2023, 9:52 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post It's unlikely that you'll have the room in that panel to install the Blue Sea style breakers but you can try if that's the way you want to go. Also, if it's the same setup as mine behind the panel, there will be a common buss bar that bolts directly to the source side of each breaker in the row. If that's the case, not just any breaker will fit in there if you want to utilize the existing common buss bar. You'd have to remove the bar or cut a section out and replace it with wire and connectors. Check to see if that's the case.

Do yourself a favour now and for resale considerations later, and possibly triggering a red flag on your next survey, get the proper replacement now considering they are still available.

My thought was to move the bilge pump switches from the lower panel then I could lower the AC breakers in the hole and have a larger panel made that I could install one of these prefab blue sea panels in place of the original setup. Or just get individual switches and fuses and mount them directly to the panel. Either way would be a fair amount of work. The blue Sea switch panel would cost about $1000 to convert everything to where as a custom fab from individual parts would end up being about $400. Since changing anything from original would require a complete rewiring of the existing setup life would be easier with just one for oneing the bad originals as needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2023, 6:51 am

Unless you just want to upgrade the look, why go through the expense of a whole new panel if the current breakers are still available for considerably less? Even if you replaced all of those breakers on the upper panels with the originals, it would still be much less than a new Blue Sea panel but either option would work. I'd keep the space on the lower panel available for future upgrades like a battery monitor, and other accessories. I suppose you could install a Blue Sea panel on the bottom and fabricate a new panel on the top for accessories/upgrades later.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”