Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacement 12v breaker switches.

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Hoplite808
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Re: Replacement 12v breaker switches.

Postby Hoplite808 » April 18th, 2023, 12:55 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post The exact style aren't easy to find in another brand, if there's even a duplicate out there. Blue Sea doesn't have those unless something has changed recently, they don't show these in their 2023 catalogue either. If you want the exact replacement right down to the same paddle and black outside collar/nut to match the rest on your panel, the numbers I provided above are what you're looking for.

Why are you replacing, did a test reveal it failed?

I have to replace two because the switch part snapped off. I suspect the plastic has become old and brittle and I'm trying to plan ahead as I suspect others will follow a fall apart in the future at some point too.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 18th, 2023, 3:34 am

Not knowing what you setup looks like there are a couple of options out there. Rebuilding a dash facade is not that difficult or costly. You could choose to go with standard BlueSea type breakers or go with almost any type standard switch and a separate fuse panel tucked away.

Here is a picture of a custom panel I made over 12 years ago on our previous boat that already had fuses as opposed to breakers. May open up some ideas for you. Even chucked the keys and installed push button ignition. :-D

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2023, 8:20 am

Nice helm, pretty sure this is for his main distribution panel.

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
....For a little engineering, ....Darn sight cheaper than 90 USD,,,, wow thats nuts for one breaker. My opinion anyhow.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7206/A ... le_Pole10A
...Bud, the Blue Sea option is doable if there were no other options but there are better ones out there that don't require modifying your panel. Ya I agree $90 US in the example offered is over the top AND they're not OEM but it illustrates that similar ones are out there that are a better fit than the regular Blue Sea breaker, and if you look hard enough you'll find them for much less without having to modify anything. I paid $19 each CND for the original breakers, that's actually less than the Blue Sea alternative that will stand out among the rest of the existing breakers. The trick is finding someone that still carries them.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 18th, 2023, 9:39 am

Another thought.... that might be a little more work but could save you some $$...

If you can find suitable replacements but that don't exactly match the style (the color is off, or the handle is different, etc), then think about swapping a couple existing breakers on your panel that have the same specs, so that you "clear out" a couple spots that could use the new breakers and it would make sense to have them stand out... for example, the bilge pump breakers. They could be a different style or color than all the rest, and it would look "intentional".

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 18th, 2023, 10:54 am

In my 405 I had some unused switch/breakers. I had a bad one that was in use and was able to swap one of the unused for the good with same amperage rating. You might be able to also do that to get you going and then explore a new one. Can't remember what I put in at the moment
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 18th, 2023, 11:32 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post I paid $19 each CND for the original breakers, that's actually less than the Blue Sea alternative that will stand out among the rest of the existing breakers. The trick is finding someone that still carries them.

It doesn't have to be Bluesea, that is just an example as I said. In my opinion any upgrades should be done with readily available quality parts that can be sourced at local providers. Where did you get them for 19 cad, now that IS a good price.. :down: .....you get a discount price though, yes ?

It appears the op is saying his are breaking down so looks like there may be be more coming along so a change in direction may be warranted.

There are some good ideas here as always.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Hoplite808
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Postby Hoplite808 » April 18th, 2023, 4:25 pm

The panel I’m talking about is the top one in the photo. I could reinvent the wheel easily enough for this but it would be a lot more work is all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2023, 6:11 pm

It's unlikely that you'll have the room in that panel to install the Blue Sea style breakers but you can try if that's the way you want to go. Also, if it's the same setup as mine behind the panel, there will be a common buss bar that bolts directly to the source side of each breaker in the row. If that's the case, not just any breaker will fit in there if you want to utilize the existing common buss bar. You'd have to remove the bar or cut a section out and replace it with wire and connectors. Check to see if that's the case.

Do yourself a favour now and for resale considerations later, and possibly triggering a red flag on your next survey, get the proper replacement now considering they are still available.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2023, 6:13 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post...Where did you get them for 19 cad, now that IS a good price.. :down: .....you get a discount price though, yes ?...
They had limited amounts at the time but I got them from Electrosonic, and that was retail, I don't get a deal from them.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 18th, 2023, 6:37 pm

Was the link I posted incorrect? They seem to have stock in and its available in the US and Canada. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... -V/6041293
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”