Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Autopilot

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Voyager

Re: Autopilot

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 24th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Hynautic cylinder chart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
Aa704
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 carver voyager 28

Postby Aa704 » April 24th, 2023, 2:43 pm

Thanks for your help!

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Voyager

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 24th, 2023, 3:18 pm

Lmk how it goes. I have lots of hynautic material I have come across. If you have any questions just ask :captain:

United States of America
Big Giant Head
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Big Giant Head » April 20th, 2024, 11:54 am

I have a 1985 28 foot Voyager which I'm setting up for trolling solo. With the autopilot, I'm hoping to spend most of my time on the back deck and I'm hoping I can mount the control unit back there so I can make fine adjustments without having to run into the lower driving station every time she veers off course. I'm curious to know where anyone with a setup like mine mounted the compass, pump, control unit and head, etc. Anyone mount the control unit to be controlled from the back deck? Thanks for any help!

United States of America
Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 93 Carver Mariner 330. 2X 350XL Crusaders

Postby Pura Vida » April 26th, 2024, 5:31 am

I installed the EV150 on my Mariner 330 last year. Extremely happy with the result.
The EV150 does NOT require rudder transducer, my system does not use it. Attached to the Garmin 94 through a databus, works very well.
You must know what helm you have, what type of hydraulic system, and ram size. See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8015&p=63304#p63304 for additional info.
All SeaStar helms have the required check valves for an autopilot system (this is what i have). Some Helms would require an additional double piloted check valve to operate properly.
My system does not have a reservoir, i cannot advise specifically on this setup, but i know it is do-able.
My biggest PITA on installation was the hydraulic adapters from the pump to the steering lines (mostly self induced), and especially the data bus set-up...additional Garmin data bus cables are a ridiculous $50+. You will need to figure out and customize your data bus to your equipment.
All in:
$2200 (minus a $200 rebate at the time) for the EV15
~$200 hydraulic lines, fittings, fluid, helm servicing adapter...etc. (lots of extra parts...fittings & hyd hoses)
~$200 data bus connections/cables...etc.

On my Mariner, the pump and Flux valve (compass sensor) are all behind the helm, working in "the hole" sucked, but i never had to route anything through anywhere. Most other systems (best i can tell) would require the rudder transducer wired connection - again, EV system has connections for, but does not require rudder position.

Good luck! I am thrilled with the performance of the EV150 on the Great Lakes, best investment.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”