Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Autopilot

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Aa704
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 carver voyager 28

Autopilot

Postby Aa704 » April 21st, 2023, 3:17 pm

Looking for information from others on autopilot systems. I've just recently purchased a 1992 carver 2828/ 300 sedan. After doing a lot of searching thinking that it was a 1992 carver 28 voyager I was seeing that voyager wasn't made in 1992. It was very confusing. I reached out to the previous owner and sent him specs on the 2828 /300 and he confirmed that this was the boat I purchased. I've not taken delivery of the boat yet but would like to get it equipped with autopilot. I'm under the assumption that the boat is equipped with hynautic steering? Not sure if carver in 1992 used any other steering systems in their 30' boats? I plan on updating all electronics and I'm open to anything that would tie into the autopilot. The boat is going to be setup for fishing lake superior. Currently has older Ray marine radar. Any suggestions or information that can help steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Any other information about this boat would be appreciated as well

Thanks

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Voyager

Re: Autopilot

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 22nd, 2023, 1:08 pm

I own a 28’ voyager with hynautic steering and have been researching autopilots for a couple years. Raymarine seems to be the best option. I looked at others, specifically garmin but the pressurized hynautic system seems to cause issues with the shadow drive feature. According to Garmin you can make it work but you need to drop the pressure way down on the steering system to avoid trouble. You can pick up the complete Raymarine EV 150 package here in Canada for about $3000. The Garmin was nearly double the price.

Aa704
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Aa704 » April 22nd, 2023, 4:29 pm

Thanks for the information. What year is your 28? Does it have the pressure resivor with gauge on top? I don't believe my 1992 does. I believe the steering wheel flybridge and lower helm steering wheel has manual pumps attached to the back of them?

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 22nd, 2023, 4:53 pm

Mine is an 85. Yes, it has the pressure gauge on top of the reservoir in the engine space. Upper and lower helms have the h-50 manual pump behind the wheel hub. Just did a rebuild on the upper helm.

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 22nd, 2023, 5:03 pm

Here is a pic of how another fellow in my Marina tees off the upper helm to install his raymarine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aa704
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Aa704 » April 22nd, 2023, 5:26 pm

Thanks for the information! Very helpful

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 23rd, 2023, 9:36 am

No worries. Mine is rigged for Great Lakes fishing as well. Great platform for fishing/family. I installed a Fishhawk and 2 new garmin plotter/sounders when I bought it in 2020. I was going to stick with all Garmin stuff but when I spoke with a few retailers it became clear for my needs raymarine seemed like a better option. I believe nowadays you can get different brands to talk to each other anyway if you set up a NMEA connection. I’ve attached the Garmin spec sheet for use with hynautic steering. Whatever brand you choose be careful not to lose or damage any of the hynautic fittings as they are out of production and expensive to source. I had to pay a kings random to get a couple parts from Great Lakes Skipper on eBay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aa704
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Aa704 » April 23rd, 2023, 6:58 pm

I've read it on the internet so it has to be true! that hynautic stopped using the pressure canister in the late 80's. I have not been able to relocate this information again. Does this change the setup from the type 1 pump to just the H-50 attached to the steering wheel? I see looking at ray marine the have package units for both?

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 24th, 2023, 11:59 am

I would wait intil you are in possession of the boat to see exactly what you are dealing with. The reservoir on mine is located between the rudder posts on the transom in the engine space. Not sure what changes hynautic made in the late 80’s. That being said though, you will still need an autopilot pump and the size is based on the cubic inch capacity of the steering cylinder. The type 1 is what i need so I’m thinking you will need the same. Once you have the boat get the size of steering cylinder, it’s stamped on one of the ends, and you’ll know for sure. Mine is a K-19

Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Merkinbrumsky » April 24th, 2023, 12:02 pm

One other thing, you’ll want a rudder feedback sensor as well. It’s not included in the ev-150 with pump package. It was recommended to me by several people as essential for a boat that size.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”