Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Where to mount a radar antenna?

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
Hoplite808
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3227 Convertible

Where to mount a radar antenna?

Postby Hoplite808 » May 3rd, 2023, 12:28 pm

Hello all,

I am thinking of adding a radar to my 3227 and am trying to figure out the best place to mount the antenna if I were to do so. As I see it there are several options.

1) Radar Arch - PRO: This would definitely be a stable mount and would provide a nice base to mount more lights as well as other equipment without really changing the design of the boat or require any major rebuilds. CON: This would be expensive coming in at about $2500-3000 for a cheap one. Additionally it would add height to the boat which could affect bridge clearance although with extra expense could be made to fold.

2) Flybridge Hard Top - PRO: This would increase the comfort of the flybridge from the elements and could serve as a platform to mount extra storage and accessories as well. CON: By far the most expensive option and would similar to the arch increase the height of the boat but it’s not likely to be able to be folded.

3) Post/Mast - PRO: This is less expensive than the full arch and just as stable and could be made to fold. CON: Less surface area for accessories than the arch and would likely have to be custom manufactured as the options I’ve been able to find so far are more for sailboats and just wouldn’t look right or mount easily as designed to the flybridge.

4) Bulkhead Mount to the front of the flybridge - PRO: This is by far the least expensive mount and doesn’t affect the height of the vessel at all. CON: Mounting this here would interfere with the antenna’s 360 degree field of view reducing it to about 180° to 200° instead.

For those who have added radar where have you mounted the antenna and how well has that working for you?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Where to mount a radar antenna?

Postby waybomb » May 3rd, 2023, 3:18 pm

I don't like 4. Unless you can be certain that the the transmission of the microwaves are turned off when pointing toward you and your guests. And nobody can stand in front of it when transmitting.
Also, I use radar for my own weather watch. You could have storms approaching from the rear and not know it.
I'd go with #1 and if height is really a concern, one that folds.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 3rd, 2023, 5:55 pm

I agree with Fred...

You might also consider a small post/mount on a lower height radar arch, that will get it up and away from you, keep boat overall height down when post/mount folded.......definitely not on the bridge coaming....consider what that would be aimed at if going 360......hmmm. Other things can go on the arch as well.

If height is a real concern, stick with the canvas bridge enclosure and the arch...IMO..good luck with your decision.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 13th, 2023, 11:58 am

Here's a 3227 with a folding radar pole. May not be exactly what youre looking for but here's the link.. https://www.rightboat.com/boats-for-sal ... 7/rb438644
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
sbb2112
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1982 Carver Monterey 2687
260 Mercruiser / Mercruiser Alpha sterndrive

Postby sbb2112 » February 27th, 2024, 7:56 am

I know this is a little old but this is my setup. The mast on the arch is hinged with gas springs to help with folding it down. The height of the mast is 36" which gets the dome above everyone on the boat.
IMG_4927.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”