Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

406 Navionics Upgrade Project

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
kgarguilo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 406

406 Navionics Upgrade Project

Postby kgarguilo » June 14th, 2023, 2:22 pm

My goals for this project were as follows:
• Gain an anchor drag alarm.
• Get auto guidance so if in an Emergency anyone could drive us back to port or any location
• Screen can negate the Polarized lenses on my Maui Jim and Ray ban sunglasses.
• Get specific / Exact GPS Coordinates
• Catalog places I have been and be able to share them easily
• Rear facing camera
• Large enough screen to be seen from Captains chair

All goals were achieved on this project. While I do not need navigation for my way around the 38k square acre lake, I will admit the auto guidance system track allows me to not pay as much attention to the actual current location as it guides me to any destination with my custom preferences and parameters. Of course, I have to navigate the boat as I do not have an auto guidance capability aboard.

CONS: I will likely replace the GC100 Camera and move it to the engine room one day when I buy a wired camera to replace it. The Wi-Fi on this camera is not awesome (being nice) While the total distance from the chart plotter to the camera is less than 25feet it often locks up rendering it useless at docking until it comes back, It could be <1 second or a minute. Sadly, no adjustment I can find to fix this. The cutting out happens near the dock and in the middle of nowhere where no other Wi-Fi signals are present.

For lake insight only: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Lanier

I removed RayMarine A60, DSM25, Chart plotter, M66 Transducer (Reused) and I sold the A60, DSM25 and chart plotter on Ebay in one night, guess I left money on the table.

I added and used the following:
GA0209203 Garmin GPSMAP 8612xsv Chartplotter Sounder (Love this Plotter)
GAX11613 Garmin Wire Block to 8-Pin Sounder Connector
GA0186530 Garmin GC 100 WiFi Marine Camera
GA0231610 Garmin GPS 24xd NMEA2000 Multi-Band Antenna Vessel Already had a new Garmin Transducer GT54UHD-TM
Airmar M66 transducer (Re-used existing for 50/200 Mhz)

I was able to re-use the Airmar M66 transducer for 50/200 mhz and coupled with the Garmin GTN54UHD-TM for Clearview Chirp 840 kHz and side view to monitor depth/speed and temperature. This gives me an under the vessel view from the stern to midship.

See pictures of everything used/sold/installed.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsUXzq27eR2fgrZLeWy ... Q?e=08KSsw
Kevin G.
Lake Lanier GA
1999 Carver 406

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”