Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

AutoPilot and steering ram

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
ontariojeff
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 570

AutoPilot and steering ram

Postby ontariojeff » November 1st, 2023, 9:14 am

Hello,

I am the owner of a Carver 570 Voyager. However, recently I have encountered a problem with the autopilot system. Whenever I engage it, instead of keeping me on a steady course, it seems to be sending me in circles. Given its age and the fact that the remote is completely destroyed, I believe it is time for a complete overhaul.

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a reliable replacement system? After doing some research, I've been eyeing the Raymarine EV systems. Additionally, I'm trying to determine the capacity of my steering ram.

On a related note, I was also curious if there is a wireless remote available. It would be fantastic if I didn't have to run a wire from the sun bridge helm all the way to the stern.
Also the possibility of having a second transmitter from the pilot house.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

United States of America
Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 93 Carver Mariner 330. 2X 350XL Crusaders

Re: AutoPilot and steering ram

Postby Pura Vida » January 17th, 2024, 2:50 pm

The EV-150 was a suitable fit for my 330 you may need a larger pump for a 570.
get a pic of the cylinder, google the model to find the displacement.
I have a Hynautic K-18 cylinder, that translates to a 7.0 Cu In displacement - the EV150 (i think) handles up to 12.0 CI.
Note that on my cylinder sticker, the K-18 and serial number are faintly stamped on the sticker, hard to see. Once you have this, should be fairly easy to get the displacement and use the raymarine guidelines.

I love the EV150, would definitely recommend. No requirement to use a rudder position sensor, and i installed the pump under the helm.
I cannot recall if the EVs have a remote operation, i do not.
thumbnail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Pura Vida
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 93 Carver Mariner 330. 2X 350XL Crusaders

Re: AutoPilot and steering ram

Postby Pura Vida » January 17th, 2024, 2:56 pm

found these files which may be helpful:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”