Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Your best boating apps

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Your best boating apps

Postby Lyndon670 » September 12th, 2014, 7:26 pm

What's your favorite?

I have a ram mount for my iPad in my pilot house and have the following apps running:

Nobletec Time Zero - BEST navigation app on the planet

AnchorWatch HD - great anchor app

Motion X GPS HD - great app if you are running with a group of boaters, can view their location on each app

Active Captain - self explanatory
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Re: Your best boating apps

Postby Seif911 » September 13th, 2014, 7:19 am

Good Morning,

Love this discussion! I had thread like this a year or so ago. So I use 2 apps all the time while boating and a third a couple of other apps I use for reference.

I use Marine Weather before I go boating, a day before. It tells me the wind and waves that I'll be expecting.

I use Navionics Boating before and during my trips. I have some added maps of the WI area and it is better, at times, then my Hot Spot maps on my fish locator. I actually plan my whole trip out with this app. I plan my fishing trip based in the contours of the bottom. It really helps with catching fish. I also can see exactly how much gas I will be using and the cost of the trip.

I use Grog knots for knot reference. It has categories and videos of the knots. I also use Boaters Reference for many odd things, like crabbing a boat and the proper way to have a Bridge raised.

I have more but these are my favorites.
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Re: Your best boating apps

Postby Seif911 » September 13th, 2014, 7:46 am

I forgot to add...I Lifeproof'd my iPad. No worries about any water intrusion at all.

Also for fishing, I use a app called ONeNote to assist my fishing strategy. I have a sensor that checks the temp at the different depths and I record them. I then create a plan for what fishing poles has what lures, at what depths and how far back. I enter all of this in the app to keep track of it.
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”