Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 36MY waste tank capacity

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Carver 36MY waste tank capacity

Postby Cliffm » September 30th, 2019, 11:07 am

My wife and I have a 2006 Carver 36MY
The owners manual diagram says there's (2) 25-gal waste tanks, but the specification sheet says 36-gal total?
It would appear to us that the aft tank "fills up" quicker than the salon tank under the galley storage area.

Anyone have a definitive answer to this ? are both tanks rally the same size, but in our case 18 gal rather than 25 gal? or are they staggered in size, due to our 36MY floorplan and that aft tank is smaller, possibly only 11 gals?

Our aft tank monitoring system always reads half full, even after pumping out. Is there a special tool to get the monitoring cap loose/off the tank so I can clean each rod? I have banged on the "tabs" but hesitate to strike harder in fear of breaking off one or more of the tabs.

Any insight to this would be much appreciated.
Cliff & Beth Mathison
Renton Wa.

Canada
Curly1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466MY

Re: Carver 36MY waste tank capacity

Postby Curly1 » September 30th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I removed my waste tank 3" flange that holds the float switches yesterday. You will need either a strap wrench or chain wrench to wrap around the flange diameter to turn it out. I purchased a chain wrench which has an 18" long chain so you can adjust it to fit large diameters such as the 3" flange. It worked very well. In my Carver 466 they had butt connected all of the leads coming off the level switches. I had to cut these off, and when finished, I used bullet connectors so I could disconnect the leads for future cleaning. I removed the flange and cleaned and tested all three switches for continuity in a pail of water. My boat has the Tankwatch 4 electronic panel in each washroom. I found all three switches worked when testing. I found the longest switch is normally closed and opens on rise. The other two are normally open and close on rise. In any event, I found the problem is with the electronic boards. They are electronic, and after all, you should not expect more than 10-15 years out of most electronic equipment. My boat is 2004. They have over-complicated this board for what it does. I cannot find the components for this system anywhere (unless someone can advise where they are available), so I have to look at other options. I am going to remove the boards and take them to an electronics repair show to see if they can fix them. We have some good shops in Cambridge, Ontario that I have in mind. The other option is to make up a replacement for this with a board that I would make up. That would be simple enough, and I would only require a relay to cover the function for the empty/low level switch. I would have all lights come on consecutively until all are on at the full level. That would confirm for you that all switches work, rather than have an electronic board that translates the input signals ( when it fails, as the case here, you cannot be sure if the switches are not working or the board is not working). The other option is to replace the unit with a programmable smart relay. I have electrical background so this something I can do without a lot of trouble, but I would have to change my mounting arrangement. I hope this information helps.
Grant Eagle
Call Me Curly
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » September 30th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Curly1 wrote:Source of the post I removed my waste tank 3" flange that holds the float switches yesterday. You will need either a strap wrench or chain wrench to wrap around the flange diameter to turn it out. I purchased a chain wrench which has an 18" long chain so you can adjust it to fit large diameters such as the 3" flange. It worked very well. In my Carver 466 they had butt connected all of the leads coming off the level switches. I had to cut these off, and when finished, I used bullet connectors so I could disconnect the leads for future cleaning. I removed the flange and cleaned and tested all three switches for continuity in a pail of water. My boat has the Tankwatch 4 electronic panel in each washroom. I found all three switches worked when testing. I found the longest switch is normally closed and opens on rise. The other two are normally open and close on rise. In any event, I found the problem is with the electronic boards. They are electronic, and after all, you should not expect more than 10-15 years out of most electronic equipment. My boat is 2004. They have over-complicated this board for what it does. I cannot find the components for this system anywhere (unless someone can advise where they are available), so I have to look at other options. I am going to remove the boards and take them to an electronics repair show to see if they can fix them. We have some good shops in Cambridge, Ontario that I have in mind. The other option is to make up a replacement for this with a board that I would make up. That would be simple enough, and I would only require a relay to cover the function for the empty/low level switch. I would have all lights come on consecutively until all are on at the full level. That would confirm for you that all switches work, rather than have an electronic board that translates the input signals ( when it fails, as the case here, you cannot be sure if the switches are not working or the board is not working). The other option is to replace the unit with a programmable smart relay. I have electrical background so this something I can do without a lot of trouble, but I would have to change my mounting arrangement. I hope this information helps.
Grant Eagle
Call Me Curly
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Thanks you Curly, for the feedback, hadn't considered the circuit board as the culprit, will now!

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » September 30th, 2019, 10:00 pm

I'm still polling those with similar systems, as to what the capacities are ? obviously not (2) 25 gl tanks, so what are they really? and are they the same size?

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » October 1st, 2019, 12:26 pm

If you call carver with your hull I'd number they should be able to tell you what tanks were installed on your boat
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 1st, 2019, 10:17 pm

My 355 has two 18 gallon tanks. You may have the same?
Also debris may be holding your mid float in the up "tripped" position.
As far as removing the cap, I used a very large pair of channel locks and had no issue. Floats for both my tanks were "a bit dirty". I was able to clean and free them up, reinstalled and they worked for a bit, but then when pumping out my forward tank, I found a blockage. It was one of the floats. I guess they were to old and brittle. Sooo, I bought two new sets of floats, again, opened up the tanks and replaced the floats.
I say this because, if yours are 13 years old, you may just want to do it once with new floats. Its not a real fun project.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » October 7th, 2019, 4:51 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post My 355 has two 18 gallon tanks. You may have the same?
Also debris may be holding your mid float in the up "tripped" position.
As far as removing the cap, I used a very large pair of channel locks and had no issue. Floats for both my tanks were "a bit dirty". I was able to clean and free them up, reinstalled and they worked for a bit, but then when pumping out my forward tank, I found a blockage. It was one of the floats. I guess they were to old and brittle. Sooo, I bought two new sets of floats, again, opened up the tanks and replaced the floats.
I say this because, if yours are 13 years old, you may just want to do it once with new floats. Its not a real fun project.

now that's excellent feedback, and proactive!
I like it, thanks!
I too have very large pair of channel lock pliers that I can try, but still debating the "gas tank sender" removal tool on amazon for $20 USD, as it's adjustable and modifiable!

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”