Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Vacu Flush thought

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Vacu Flush thought

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 26th, 2020, 6:39 am

First of all, I DO love my Vacuflush unit, even though I had some challenges this year, but they were overcome. The small amount of water used on each flush and the evacuation of the bowl is superior. However, while resolving my leak, I saw a “Silent motor kit” available to get rid of the “KaChunk, KaChunk, KaChunk” noise. I guess I have to say why would you want to get rid of it? Doesn’t that pumping sound tell you if there is a problem hearing the pump run on and on?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Vacu Flush thought

Postby Midnightsun » September 26th, 2020, 6:51 am

Not being familiar with older units my units are the newer style which I am pretty sure are the silent style. That being said it is not silent, you still hear it but I assume much less intrusive than the non silent type. I do know on occasion my wife flushes improperly and some paper is still caught in the ball which causes an air leak, the pumping sound alerts me there is a problem which gets addressed immediately so yes you would not want it to be completely silent. The sound I hear is rather faint and can be missed if there is noise on the boat during the day.

As for Vacuflush, by far the best system out there IMHO, have had manual, electric, add on electric in the past, no comparison.

Pretty sure Viper has heard them all and can give you a good comparison on the difference in noise between the original and silent type.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 26th, 2020, 7:01 am

Yes, I have had all also. Most of the others had large black water holding tanks. With less than 1 pint of water per flush, the tanks can be smaller. I have 2 20 gallon tanks, and we can go a week or so without pumping out. When on a trip, we use one until the full light comes on, and then the second so we know where we stand. They are also a tad “cleaner” so to speak to service and maintain in my opinion.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 26th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Ya the silent kit is a little quieter but you can still hear it. Wouldn't spend the money on upgrading until the motor fails. Still WAY quieter than the old electric toilets!

United States of America
813rob
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 444 Carver Diesel

Postby 813rob » October 30th, 2020, 6:39 am

Bought my 2002 444 six weeks ago. Today my aft toilet stopped flushing. Think it’s clogged. Did a clean out, also put clean out hose in toilet. Toilet still doesn’t flush, I don’t hear the pump noise under the bed when in have toilet on run either. Going to try a plunger tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 30th, 2020, 7:38 am

Every time mine does not flush and I do not hear the pump run, it has been a clog. The clog is rather easy to clear but you need to forget the way one has always done it with a plunger at home, this may work but most likely not. Let me explain.

The vacuflush is actually engineered quite well. When you flush the ball moves to open up the passage for the flush to travel. The initial opening right after the ball is about 1" in diameter. Smart because if it goes through this small opening there is no way you can clog the 1 1/2" lines used everywhere else. This 1" opening is where it clogs all the time. So how do you unclog? Easy, My toilet brush has a stainless steel handle which I simply push the clog with, yep, as easy as that. The pump has already developed suction however due to the clog it thinks the ball is closed and will not start. That being said, when you push the clog through it sucks everything as there is already a vacuum behind the clog and now the pump starts up as the vacuum has been used. Best if you turn off the water though as when you activate push the pedal to access the opening water will be coming in with nowhere to go except overflow the head until the clog is corrected. ;-)

Only once was I not able to push the blockage through. Do not know what this guy ate or what clogged the opening but I resorted to using a coat hanger wire, inserted it and spun it by hand, whoosh it went after several minutes if twisting and poking around.

Since that event, I went out and purchased one of these which I now have on board in case this happens again. Basically does the same as what I did with the coat hanger except in a much more efficient way and convenient package. Nothing fancy, simply loosen the wing nut, pull out a foot or so of wire, lock the wing nut and twist the black body. If you look at the ti closely you see it is sort of made like an auger. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072F4W75C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First I will simply use the toilet brush handle and only resort to the snake if that does not work.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”