Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

I Am Glad To Come Aboard

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

I Am Glad To Come Aboard

Postby RGrew176 » August 17th, 2015, 11:46 pm

It was quite the journey but finally I can say I am back on the waterways again. Its been 4 years and 5 days since I last owned a boat. When the last boat departed I thought I was done with boating. But, alas, that was not in the cards. Last August the boat bug bit me again and I started searching for a new to me boat. I took my time and at least here in Michigan it is still a buyers market. I initially wanted to spend no more than 10K. From August to May that was my plan.

In February I found a nice looking 1987 Chris Craft 291 Catalina. I made an offer and it was accepted. I had to wait until spring for the survey and sea trial. In May I drove up with the wife to take another look at the boat. I noticed a chunk of the hull amidships on the port side had dropped off. It was a rather large chunk of fiberglass so I pulled my offer. I did not want to take any chances that were was some sort of unseen and undiagnosed hull damage. While there my wife saw on the wall where they had their listings a 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin model boat so she said we should go take a look at it.

On June 6th we drove to where the boat was located. Within a couple of minutes my wife said to me, buy it. I made an offer and the broker took it and called the seller. She countered and then we recountered and our offer was accepted. Step one was completed. Now it was on to the survey and sea trial.

On June 18th I showed up and the broker and surveyor were there. The surveyor spent about 2 hours going over the boat peeking into every opening he could find. Then we took the boat out into Lake Erie for its sea trial. We ran into a problem. The port engine would only make 2200 RPM. The starboard engine made 3700 RPM. The surveyor stated prior to going out he expected the engines to make at least 4200 RPM each. They both did not max out so I decided not to have the boat pulled for the hull survey since at that time I was not sure if I was going to go through with the purchase.

The broker called the seller with the bad news. The seller stated that the issues with the engines would be taken care of. It took a couple of weeks before the issues were corrected. The mechanic said he found both fuel filters were gunked up, his words. He then took the boat out again and while it performed better they still did not perform as they should have. So it was back to the mechanic. He then checked both engines for compression and both engines were well within spec. Next he tuned both engines and he took it out again to sea trial it. That time both engines passed his muster.

I scheduled a followup sea trial for August 5th. The broker, surveyor and myself boarded once again. We headed out into Lake Erie once again to sea trial the boat. This time both engines reached 4200 RPM's. They are 270 Crusaders. The surveyor was happy with the RPM's but not with the top end speed. We only managed 23 MPH and the surveyor said this boat should hit at least 30 MPH. We headed back to the marina to have the boat pulled for the hull survey. When the boat was pulled from the water we saw the reason for the low top end. The bottom of the whole hull was coated with at least 3" of zebra mussels. That would certainly slow a boat down. I had the marina powerwash the hull to remove the mussels. We did not have time to go out into the lake again to check the top speed but I am certain it will perform better the next time I take her out into the lake.

Fast forward to Friday, August 14th. At 2 PM I drove to the brokers to hand over a check for payment of the purchase. I was a happy camper once again. This is what I ended up buying:

http://i61.tinypic.com/qxusm0.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2cntbgh.jpg

Friday evening I drove to where the boat is docked. I am spending my first weekend aboard. Since the boat has been setting pretty much all season there is quite the population of spiders aboard. Last night I zapped 27 of the little buggers and tonight I found another 4 more. I wanted to kill as many of them as possible so I did not get bitten while sleeping. All of them have been in the main salon area. I have not found any in the aft cabin where I sleep or the head or forward cabin. I think that getting 31 of them I have eliminated most of the inside population. My fingers are crossed. I will be going home later today but I plan to be back onboard on Wednesday. We'll see if there are any more to be zapped. I will keep an eye out for any babies.

When I sea trialed the boat I found that the pump that supplies the freshwater from the onboard tanks is bad. The seller chose not to put any more money into the boat after getting the engines fixed and I can certainly understand her feelings. I talked it over with a couple of mechanics and they both said don't let a failed pump keep you from buying a decent and nice looking boat. I did decide to go ahead with the purchase knowing I will be replacing the pump. I will be ordering it later today so it will be here when I arrive back to the boat on Wednesday. Its going to be a pain in the behind fixing it. It looks like there are 4 screws holding the pump to the mounting and there are several hoses and wires that will have to be reckoned with. I am debating whether to have someone make the installation or do it myself.

Anyway, having spent my first weekend aboard I am looking forward to starting some new boating adventures. Its good to be back on the waters once again.

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Re: I Am Glad To Come Aboard

Postby CYO Admin » August 18th, 2015, 7:16 am

That's one hell of a first post! Welcome to our little corner of the web, glad to have you!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » August 18th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Welcome aboard!
Where in Michigan are you?
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » August 19th, 2015, 4:57 am

waybomb wrote:Welcome aboard!
Where in Michigan are you?

Thanks for the warm welcome to the Carver forums. I look forward to sharing my boating adventures and stories with the group. I also look forward to reading about the adventures of other Carver owners and their boats.

I live in Southgate MI. which is just a few miles south of Detroit. I keep the boat at Trouts Yacht Basin in Bolles Harbor which is just south of Monroe.

I am spending the next two days aboard. My first job is to replace the onboard freshwater system pump. Its going to be a challenge as it is in a difficult location to get at. But, hey, its a boat and they are not supposed to be easy to work on.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » August 20th, 2015, 12:30 am

I did manage to replace the freshwater system pump. What a task. I did not keep time but it took at least 5 hours work. I had to work around the A/C system. It would have been a much easier job if I pulled the A/C then worked on the pump but that would have made it two jobs instead of one. I had to bypass the accumulator tank as it is missing a tab to hold the line in place. I'm thinking the old pump did not develop enough pressure to pop the line but as soon as I turned on the pump it popped the line to the accumulator tank squirting water inside the engine compartment. I got a call in to Jabsco hoping I can order the tab I need.

The mechanic at the marina will also try to see if he can order one. He did turn me on to a marine junkyard nearby that could possibly have what I need. I may drive there later today just to see if I could get lucky.

This is one job I never ever hope to have to do again. What a bear.

There are a couple other issues I am having with the boat, one is the electric head. Sometimes when you push the button it works and sometimes it does not work. If by chance the head needs replacing I might just replace it with a manual head. So much simpler and less complex. The other issue is with the A/C, the condensate tank is not draining which makes me wonder if there is no drain or if it is plugged. That will be the next issue I will tackle.

It was certainly a busy day onboard Gustava II.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

eric_b
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3227 Convertible

Postby eric_b » August 20th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Welcome aboard.
1986 Carver 3227 Convertible

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » August 21st, 2015, 1:54 am

eric_b wrote:Welcome aboard.

Thank You.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Canada
Capt Happy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1974 16 Foot ex DFO Lapstrake Speedboat
1985 21 Foot Baby Cape Islander
1977 26 Foot Trojan F-26 Cruiser
1997 Carver 320 Voyager

Postby Capt Happy » August 21st, 2015, 9:17 pm

Good Day,
You were not totally clear on the issue you are having, is it an electrical or water flow issue?
For us this is a water issue.

On the head, there should be a small white plastic hexagonal nut on the base. Remove this, inside should be a small ball on the back of a spring. Remove and clean this ball, lubricate and reinstall.

This is a must do for us as I am away at sea for sixteen days and find when returning this ball has dried out and sometimes sticks.

Hope it's this simple, but would give it a shot before considering replacement.

cheers Capt. Happy

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » August 21st, 2015, 9:51 pm

Capt Happy wrote:Good Day,
You were not totally clear on the issue you are having, is it an electrical or water flow issue?
For us this is a water issue.

On the head, there should be a small white plastic hexagonal nut on the base. Remove this, inside should be a small ball on the back of a spring. Remove and clean this ball, lubricate and reinstall.

This is a must do for us as I am away at sea for sixteen days and find when returning this ball has dried out and sometimes sticks.

Hope it's this simple, but would give it a shot before considering replacement.

cheers Capt. Happy

The truth is I am not real clear myself what the issues is or might be. Sometimes the head works when I push the button. Other times when I push the button the lights dim, since the head is also on the 12 volt system but does nothing. This is the first time I have owned a boat with an electric head. I like the idea but if I do have to replace it I think it would be simpler to go with a manual head. All my previous boats had manual pump heads and I never had an issue with any of them.

I will try your suggestion just to make sure the ball is not dry and sticking especially since the boat has basicly been sitting unused for most of two years.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Canada
Capt Happy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1974 16 Foot ex DFO Lapstrake Speedboat
1985 21 Foot Baby Cape Islander
1977 26 Foot Trojan F-26 Cruiser
1997 Carver 320 Voyager

Postby Capt Happy » August 22nd, 2015, 5:49 pm

Hi again,
These units draw a lot of juice, they work great in our experience but require a lot of voltage. Sometimes if we have been anchored up for awhile, we will have to start the engines to get the head working the way it should.( lights dim and little to no water flow coming in) House batteries are two 6V Trojan T 105's. Would be of interest the next time you try to use and it doesn't work, start your engines and then try. Almost sounds like at times there is not enough electrical power being supplied to the pump motor. May be the reason it works one time and at another not so much, house bank recovering.

cheers, Capt. Happy

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”