Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

vacuflush leak and smell in head unit

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: vacuflush leak and smell in head unit

Postby cpoint » May 18th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Viper, it does not make sense for me either. But I am pretty sure about the deck fitting, they are labeled correctly and filled correctly. The water tank was filled same time I had the pump out and it did go down by about the amount that is in the holding tank. I can see kind off the tank when I turn on a very bright flash on top the liquid level in it (tank is plastic like material, somewhat transparent). I thought if no pressure and it's not due to gravity, it should not have leaked. But I did see it leak when I was replacing the valve. Even when I removed the valve there was some leakage in the hose going to the valve. Maybe residual pressure in system. But a good 12-15 gallons filled the tank in 1-2 days. In any case I believe I fixed it, but did not check today. I hope I fixed it :-O we'll see Thursday when I get back to it. Maybe I should go tomorrow...

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 18th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Fingers crossed. Keep us posted please.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » May 21st, 2016, 12:06 pm

Update, so replacing the valve resolved the problem. Tank no longer fills when not in use. There must have been residual pressure left before that kept pushing water through lines, and with bad valve it was loading the holding tank even though everything was off on the boat. I did buy the seal, but I guess I will hold on to that, I am sure day will come that will become necessary :)

United States of America
crquisto
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 406 Aft Cabin, twin 7.4 gas Mercruisers - Flyboy II

Postby crquisto » June 3rd, 2016, 10:09 am

These issues are really frustrating. This is a long shot, but my 2000 406 had an issue where my forward holding tank was leaking thru the overboard pumpout y-valve. That's the one next to the onboard overboard pump, behind my port engine. I rebuilt the y-valve and the problem was fixed. My forward holding tank sits higher than the aft tank, so Gravity was allowed to do its thing. If your configuration has the aft tank higher, this could be an issue. Good luck!

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 3rd, 2016, 1:04 pm

Well looks like I had not fixed the issue. I had pump out Monday, when I went back Thursday tank was 1/3 or so full with indicator on display showing middle light. Seal seems to be fine as the water in bowl did not change. I know the valve is good as I replaced it I checked and no water was coming through it. There must be another water source, crquisto, I will check to see if I have similar issue as you did. :censored:

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » June 3rd, 2016, 1:23 pm

Can you do a visual on the tank by shining a flashlight through it to determine how full it is. Maybe just a bad sensor or gauge playing games with you?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 3rd, 2016, 10:11 pm

Midnight Sun wrote:Source of the post Can you do a visual on the tank by shining a flashlight through it to determine how full it is. Maybe just a bad sensor or gauge playing games with you?

There's been a lot of people fooled by that!

crquisto brings up a good point if you have two tanks connected together in that manner.

As I mentioned above cpoint, you need to ensure with 100% certainty that what your indicator is telling you is indeed what's in the tank. Don't go by any shadowing that you see from the outside of the tank as you may be looking at a scum line inside the tank but fluids may be no where near that level. Unscrew the sensor assembly and check the level inside. While you have that out, clean it, and test it by moving the floats to see if the indicator responds properly.

Do you have an overboard discharge system hooked up?

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 4th, 2016, 10:47 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post
Midnight Sun wrote:Source of the post Can you do a visual on the tank by shining a flashlight through it to determine how full it is. Maybe just a bad sensor or gauge playing games with you?

There's been a lot of people fooled by that!

crquisto brings up a good point if you have two tanks connected together in that manner.

As I mentioned above cpoint, you need to ensure with 100% certainty that what your indicator is telling you is indeed what's in the tank. Don't go by any shadowing that you see from the outside of the tank as you may be looking at a scum line inside the tank but fluids may be no where near that level. Unscrew the sensor assembly and check the level inside. While you have that out, clean it, and test it by moving the floats to see if the indicator responds properly.

Do you have an overboard discharge system hooked up?

Thanks wiper and midnight sun, I will check I am on way there now. I had shined a light, it looked like there was 1/3 tank full of water. But agreed, I will open the top and check as well. However I am sure there is water coming into it. I am going to check to see if there is Y adapter as crquisto mentioned. I am 100% sure it is not coming from the head as I had replaced the valve and made sure no water was coming through. So there has to be another source where water is coming in to tank. Also overboard discharge system is not hooked up I believe.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 5th, 2016, 12:09 am

crquisto wrote:Source of the post These issues are really frustrating. This is a long shot, but my 2000 406 had an issue where my forward holding tank was leaking thru the overboard pumpout y-valve. That's the one next to the onboard overboard pump, behind my port engine. I rebuilt the y-valve and the problem was fixed. My forward holding tank sits higher than the aft tank, so Gravity was allowed to do its thing. If your configuration has the aft tank higher, this could be an issue. Good luck!

I just checked the tank today, yes the water level in water tank is down, the holding tank definitely has water in it, it is not false indicator. Can you tell more how I can see if I can locate y-valve? any chance there is a picture of it? I will look for it, but not too much under google for these types of things.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 9th, 2016, 1:05 pm

got stuck with fuel/engine issues, this is still a problem. I am still trying to figure if it is the Y-Valve.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”