Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thermostat

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
BiXLL
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 30' Santego

Thermostat

Postby BiXLL » August 10th, 2016, 9:40 pm

My thermostat does not properly register the correct emp. It pretty much never shows below 115, therefore the air never shuts off. can I replace it with a digital from Home Depot?

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Thermostat

Postby mjk1040 » August 11th, 2016, 5:05 am

I don't know why not if the wiring for your unit can be applied to the Depot thermostat so it heats and cools. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 11th, 2016, 6:49 am

it would be good to have more info about what brand of hvac on the boat, i would not count on going and picking up something a home depot. most marine ac manuf have more on the thermostat than what you think. there are some options but i dont think you will be that lucky at hd or lowes
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
BiXLL
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 30' Santego

Postby BiXLL » August 11th, 2016, 6:53 am

It looks different then anything I have ever seen, but so far as function. It has a air, heat, fan only, and temp buttons. Same functions as the one at home. I think I am going to pull it apart this weekend and see what the wiring looks like.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 11th, 2016, 9:04 am

On my boat 2 of the 3 are mermaid units they are the only ones that I have seen that are the closest to a standard thermostat in faCT they are wired just like home. My others on boats have always been a specific type made for the unit they run. Fyi,Micro aire makes many for other companies who then put their name on it. I have never read anybody posting a solution with a lowes or hd stat but if your willing to give it a go good luck. I would think it might be possible, feasible? if you have the schematics to work with but I haven't had the need to investigate it very much. dont know if its worth the time or trouble . Also You may could get your thermostat repaired. again I don't know what brand unit you have, probably easier than trying to rewire your unit to a generic. thermostat.keep us posted
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 11th, 2016, 9:10 am

Depending on the brand and age of the unit you MAY be able to use a standard house stat. The unit wiring diagram should be located inside the control box cover. If it is a 24vac triac or relay driven system you should be ok with the exception of fan speed control. Most marine units have variable or multiple speed fans. The Home stat will not have fan speed selection, you will have to pick a speed and stick with it.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”