Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

My A/C Is Working Again

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

My A/C Is Working Again

Postby RGrew176 » September 1st, 2016, 12:37 am

Yesterday I headed down to the boat to fix one of my 2 issues. My non working A/C unit. The first thing I had to do was remove the old seawater pump as it had failed and without water the A/C unit will not cool or heat.

The first thing I did was turn off all electrical power at the main. Then I climbed down into the engine compartment to start the removal process. I cut the power cord to the old pump. Then I backed out the two screws holding it on its mounting point. That was the easy part.

Here is the old pump.

It had been acting erratic for the last month or so. The A/C unit was installed in 1996 so this could be the original pump.

This is the new pump I installed.

Now for the hard part. The install. I took my time. I removed the two parts for the hose connections from the old pump as they were reusable. Then I put some wooden slats underneath the new pump to hold it in place so I could mount it. I drilled two starter holes into the mounting place. Then I drove in the two screws to hold it in place.

Next up was connecting the wiring. That went OK, took me a little time. The whole job from start to finish was about 4 hours. Like I said, I took my time. Once I had the wires connected I fired up the A/C unit. I heard the pump fire up and went outside to look for the A/C discharge. Nothing, no water coming through the outlet. Then I remembered these pumps for some reason are non priming.

I needed to prime the pump. I needed one of the old style twist hose nozzles so I had to go to the local hardware store and buy one. I will keep it on the boat for future priming issues. When I got back I hooked the hose up to the water outlet. Then I ran it down into the bilge area and inserted it into the seapump hose before the sea strainer unit. I turned on the water and waited for it to come through the outlet.

Then I came inside and fired up the A/C unit and alas I started getting cold air out the ducts. I shut down the A/C unit. Then I went back outside to the faucet and shut off the water. Back down into the bilge to disconnect the hose from the seawater inlet hose. I reconnected the hose to the through-hull securely clamping the hose to the inlet. Then I climbed up into the salon and fired up the A/C unit. Back outside to look for the seawater discharge coming out the portside outlet. There was water coming out of the outlet. There was also cold air coming out of the A/C ducts.

It is wonderful to have a working A/C unit once again.

Now on to getting my transmission problem fixed. I am on to a lead from a fellow dockmate as to someone who might be able to fix it for me. The question is will it be this year or next.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: My A/C Is Working Again

Postby mjk1040 » September 1st, 2016, 5:05 am

Nice Job Rick! May u have a cool boat again. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 1st, 2016, 12:25 pm

Cool! :lol:
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 1st, 2016, 9:34 pm

Rick, is the old pump a Dometic or aftermarket?

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » September 2nd, 2016, 3:30 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Rick, is the old pump a Dometic or aftermarket?

Dometic.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 2nd, 2016, 6:49 am

Nice. I have had to Mcguyver an AC pump in the past. Being located where I am it is sometimes difficult to get boat parts quickly. Ended up going to the pet store and installed an aquarium pump. Works actually better than the real McCoy and dirt cheap! Did replace it with a true AC marine unit just to be legal so to say.

Now the reason I used an aquarium pump is I have had aquariums my entire life and still have 1 salt tank and 1 fresh water tank today. Those pumps run 24/7 for years and years in fact the one I have right now is on it's 8th year.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”